Summary and Excerpt of The Dating Class

Author's Note: If you are reading this, it means you have finished reading Confessions of a Teenage Caffeine Addict, but that means you can start reading my new book, The Dating Class! The summary and excerpt of the book are below and you can find the rest of the book on my page! Happy Reading (:

SUMMARY

"Date me, it's for a class."

What if there was a class where the only assignment was to date someone for an entire semester? That's exactly what Ridgefield Academy is known for. Welcome to Dating in the Modern Age. Besides having a stellar soccer team and a hierarchy that would put any government to shame, it's no secret that everyone wants to take the class as well be at the top of the ladder with none other than the Popular Girl herself. It turns out putting the majority of the popular students in the class is as bad of an idea as it sounds... so who's going to stay at the top and who will fall—whether it be in love or off the ladder?

EXCERPT

POINT OF VIEW: UNKNOWN

AUGUST 26TH

"Welcome to Dating in the Modern Age. The person sitting next to you is now your new boyfriend or girlfriend for the semester. No, you may not switch partners and no, you do not have to talk to them but you will have a very hard time passing this class, so I suggest you talk to them." Mr. Hart said as he walked around the room with his hands folded behind his back.

I looked around to find everyone staring at the person next to them, as if they were viewing them in a new light. Some people were shocked. Some smiled and some groaned. This class was nothing new at Ridgefield Academy. Every student knew what it was and secretly, every student wanted to take it, even if they were in a relationship.

"How might you earn points in this class, you ask. Well, students, you earn points and receive grades by going on," Mr. Hart paused to write a word on the chalkboard: DATES. Some people snickered. "Dates," he pointed at the word, tapping on the board for effect. It was so quiet that it was almost impossible to miss the echoes from the board and his voice bouncing off the walls. "And I will know if you go on dates or not. I have eyes everywhere," he wiggled his eyebrows. "Sometimes I will assign the location or the time and sometimes I will not," he continued giving everyone a rundown of the class. Most of us, including me had now leaned back in our chairs, listening. "Extra credit if you spend a holiday with that person." Mr. Hart smiled and picked up a pink stack of papers from the desk before passing them out to everyone.

"Does Halloween count?" a boy asked and I couldn't help but smile.

"Can you fail?" some kid in the front row raised his hand.

"Only if you cheat on your boyfriend or girlfriend. Then I will fail you and promptly kick you out the class. And I can assure you that failing my class is something you do not want on your transcript. I carry quite a bit of influence on what classes you will be taking next semester." He threw out a casual threat.

"Are there quizzes and tests?" The girl at the table next to me called out, getting some approving nods from people around her.

"Yes, and the only way to study is to get to know your partner. I will not tell you when these assessments will be, so always be ready." He gave the class a sly smile. I looked around at some of the kids to see them silently freaking out, while others looked excited.

"So what if we're dating someone right now?" another girl asked quietly, like she was afraid of her own question.

"Sorry to say that for this semester you will not be dating that person. If they have questions they can come see me." Mr. Hart nodded at the girl knowing he had just broken her heart. "The pink sheet in front of you is a list of FAQ's that are asked every year. Read over this tonight and if you still have questions, ask me tomorrow. Other than that, I wish you all the best of luck in your new relationships." Mr. Hart concluded and I wondered what I had gotten myself into.