Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

(Peter's POV)

I decided I would follow her where ever she was going. I spied on her from behind a rock as she walked towards Aslan. What I didn't know, was that Madi wasn't the only person being watched.

"What are you doing?" Ed asked me. I swear I nearly had a heart attack. I turned around and glared at him. He gave me a very confused expression. I sighed, sadness pouring into my soul.

"The witch is going to kill Madeline tonight. Madi is using herself as a sacrafice." I explained to him. A grim expression appeared on his face at the mention of the situation. I wasn't so happy about it either. He put his hand on my shoulder.

"Let me come with you. If this get ugly, you're going to want someone to lean on." he said to me. I rolled my eyes.

"I am not a female. I don't need a shoulder to cry on." I declared to him. He just gave me a sad smile.

"Can I still come?" he asked me. I sighed and ran my hand through my honey blonde hair, knowing that the action would've driven Madi crazy. I felt something tug my heart as I thought about her. Maybe Edmund tagging along wasn't such a bad idea after all. I guess I would need someone to drag me to the battle field in the morning to lead the army.

"Fine, you can come." I told him.

(Madeline's POV) As I walked towards Aslan, my tears sparkling and shimmering in the moonlight, I heard a few voices.

"What are you two doing up?" Aslan asked someone. I looked and saw Susan and Lucy speaking with the mighty Lion. Why were they up this late? I appraoched them from the darkness, making sure they knew I was coming so that I wouldn't scare them. I gave them a warm smile when we made eye contact.

"Madi!" Lucy whispered and wrapped her arms around my waist. I squeezed my eyes closed. I then promised myself I wouldn't cry infront of them. I wouldn't. I couldn't. I had to stay strong for them, even though they didn't know that they would need me to be brave. I hugged her back as Aslan gave me a strengthening smile. I immediately felt like I could do this. I would sacrafice my life. And everything would be alright. The people I love are going to be alright. Peter would be alright. Susan looked at me, a confused expression on her face. I gave her a fake reassuring smile, and she seemed to buy it. She smiled back as Lucy let go of me.

"Now, what are you two doing up so late?" I asked them. They looked at each other, then back at Aslan and I.

"We can't sleep. May we please come with you?" Susan asked. I looked at Aslan, searching for his approval. He nodded.

"I guess a little company would do us good." he said. Lucy smiled and grabbed my hand. We all walked through the forest in silence. I couldn't believe this was it. These were my final steps. As I lifted each foot off the ground, it became easier to continue as I accepted the fact that I was going to die. If I died, the Pevensies would be alright. If I did this little thing, the Narnians would live to fight another day. My beaver parents  would live to see years worth of sunrieses and sunsets. Everything was going to be alright. As we neared the Stone Table, Aslan stopped Susan and Lucy.

"I believe that this is where Madeline and I shall continue alone." he said. I looked down at Lucy. She didn't know that I was about to die. She thought that I would be coming back. I wrapped my arms around her, holding her tight. I could feel small tears slipping down my face. I quickly pulled away and tried to wipe away my tears before she could notice.

"I'll see you guys...later...then." I said, trying to find the right words to say. I turned away as Aslan and I continued to walk, leaving Susan and Lucy behind. I wasn't worried about them, I knew Aslan would take care of them. I had faith in him. He wouldn't let me down. We approached the Stone Table at the top of the hill. The witch was waiting for us. Well, for me anyway. I took the steps two at a time, confidence flowing through me. I knew what was about to go down. I knew that this was it. I took a deep breath, ignoring all the hateful shouts and hurtful words from the witch's army as I walked by. I made eye contact with the evil queen, and I didn't remove my gaze. I was going to face my death with pride, whether she liked it or not. Aslan watched helplessly as I was lifted onto the Table, and strapped down with leather coards. Jadis, the witch, looked down at me, an evil grin on her face. She beant down and whispered in my ear.

"You thought you would be a hero. You wanted to be queen for your parents. But it looks like you've not only failed the Pevensies, all of Narnia, and Aslan. But you have failed Domanic and Sarafina as well. Tell me, how do you feel when I tell you that every single Pevensie child is watching all of this right now?" she asked me. My heart stopped. Why were they here? I looked over at Aslan, a sad look plastered on his face. I then looked into the forest and saw all four of them, watching me. Lucy, Susan, Edmund......and Peter. Jadis beant down to say one last thing.

"Did you honsetly think he loved you? If he truly loved you, he would've stopped all this. Tell me, do you think he does now?" she asked with venom. Jadis lifted her staff into the air as her army went wild. I looked at Peter one last time. We made eye contact, tears streaming down his face.

"And now.....the princess of the Narnians...shall die!" she shouted and I felt her sword pierce my stomach. I didn't flinch, I didn't scream. I couldn't even hear anything.

I watched as Peter opened his mouth to scream something, but I couldn't hear him. Edmund put a hand on Peter's shoulder. Susan and Lucy cried and hugged each other in pain. I closed my eyes, barely conscious as the witch pulled her sceptor out of my stomach. I felt the leather bonds be ripped from my hands, leaving me to lay in a pool of my own blood as it poured from the new injury. I could feel the witch's army as it shouted, thinking that the battle was practically theirs to win now that I was out of the picture.

I wasn't sure how long it was before someone finally wrapped their arms around me. Peter. I opened my eyes half way, looking up at his face. He was saying my name, but I couldn't reply. I was too weak. I used the last of my strength to lift my hand to his cheek. He gently pressed his hand onto mine, and I gave him one last small smile.

Then everything went black.