~Chapter 1~

~Xavier's POV~

"Xavier!" A hand hit the back of my head making me groan in pain.

I lifted my head off the table only to be met with the fierce gaze of our English teacher, Mrs Fear. Oh the irony of her name.

Unlike her name she was one of the nicest teachers in the goddamn school, one of the few to be able to tolerate me.

I rubbed the back of my head which was stinging in pain and glared at the cause, Jace fucking Irvin. Who was wearing an innocent look whilst pretending to take notes causing my glare to harden.

"Back to what I was saying, the essays will be due in within 2 weeks and I-" I zoned of yet again but this time without resting my head onto the table.

My eyes zoomed past the first row, then the second, then the third and finally the row at which I was placed: The forth.

Or else everyone else calls it 'The Forbidden Row'. 

Pathetic, I know.

This row was reserved for me and Jace in each and every class. Not that it was our choice, it was these stupid students who refused to sit next to us and pretend we were the walking plague.

Every now and then we would have an exited student join the back row but he/she would always leave space from me and Jace.

I guess that's how school was, just me and Jace. People refused to look at us out of fear, which I liked because I hate people, especially people in this school.

However, Jace... Jace had always been the most outgoing out of us two, he loved making friends and making jokes but being stuck with me and backing me up in fights got him a reputation.

Unlike me, he despises it - He's unable to talk to someone without them cowering in fear and I guess this being senior year it was getting to him.

A lot.

This year had to be different...

Little did I know, this year, would change my life forever.

~*~

Grabbing my lunch tray I made it over to the secluded table at the back, taking a seat before patiently waiting for Jace to arrive.

I was about to take a bite out of pizza when a range of loud shouting caught my attention. Slightly annoyed I placed down my pizza, before gazing towards a table two rows in front of mine.

A girl was stood in the middle of two boys, one hiding behind her with a slightly bloodied nose and the other seething in anger. The one seething in anger was a jock which I recognized as to be the best friend of Adam, the kid from the alleyway last night.

You make it sound like you fucked the kid last night.

Ignoring my head I turned towards the girl who looked... indescribable. Her dark brown hair was in a high pony tail, she was sporting a black long sleeved shirt with dark blue jeans making her raging blue eyes stand out.

God - I sound like a girl.

Deciding to ignore the commotion I was about to lift my pizza yet again, when the jock standing in front of the girl was pulled back by yours truly - Jace.

Great - Just fucking great.

I leaned back in my chair, my hands resting behind my head, watching him talk to the jock. 

A few moments passed of me staring in amusement and just as I was about to confirm his ability to handle the situation and make another attempt to return back to the now cold pizza, he was shoved.

Hard.

And that ladies and gentlemen is how I got myself involved.

Standing up quickly, the loud screeching of my chair caught everyone's attention. Ignoring the usual looks of fear I marched down towards the jock.

"I would watch it if I was you." I said as I arrived at the table causing people to take one step back. I rolled my eyes before looking over to Jace who gave me a small nod signalling he was okay.

"This isn't your fight Slade." I looked over to the jock, inwardly admiring his confidence before nodding.

"You're right. It wasn't my fight. Listen to that, past tense. That was until you," I pointed at him, "Decided to shove my best friend." I spat out as I moved my finger towards Jace, who was smirking.

Probably at the fact I called him 'best friend', I would get a lot of shit off him for that now.

Ignoring his smirk, I watched the jock attempt to take an intimidating step forwards. I could see his friends making their way towards the front of the crowd, however none of them making an effort to back him.

I watched his stance fall as his friends refused to come forward to help him, each shaking their head slightly.

Oh course - What else was he expecting from them?

He turned to face me before looking at the guy. "I'll get your for this later." He muttered.

He was about to leave when the girl spoke up, and let me tell you, her voice... Didn't sound too happy.

In fact it held more anger than I had in my whole body. "Get him for what? What on earth is your problem!" She shouted making everyone cringe.

She stood up onto the nearby table, her ankle boots making a slight clicking noise before settling right in the center. "This," She pointed at the jock, "Thing, wanted to beat up this innocent student for the fact he is gay! And none and I mean non of you made an attempt to help him. How atrocious is that!"

The crowd slowly bowed in embarrassment whilst some pretended to look down at their tables in interest.

"If anyone, and I mean anyone tried to beat up or even mock Nathan, you'll have hell to pay. He didn't have a choice in what he is, he didn't freaking sit down with God over a cup of tea to discuss his sexuality or what gender he would like. He had no choice, much like us and if everyone disagrees with me, try hurting him. I. Dare. You."

Silence surrounded her as everyone shared the look of agreement.

"Exactly. If you can't stand up for him now, don't expect him to later. You guys are in the 21st century yet none of you have passed the ability to defend one another. You guys all talk about standing up against the wrong but when push comes to shove you're better at giving excuses. And you know what. That makes me sick."

I watched as she threw one final glare at the crowds, avoiding me and Jace before grabbing Nathan's hand and exiting the cafeteria.

Leaving everyone to their own thoughts.

I looked over to Jace who was staring at where the girl had once stood, smirking ever so slightly.

~*~

What's the most heroic thing you've done? Let me know.

'I am what I am and I love it.' - Gay Pride