12. Theory

Ryder's P.O.V.

"Corey was at Kelsey's house a week ago," I blurted.

Cain looked at me, raising an eyebrow. "Why?"

"He was...I don't know, actually. I made him leave before I could find out what he wanted."

"You're only telling me right now about this. Why?"

I was relieved that his voice wasn't accusatory, rather confused and curious. "Because I wasn't sure how to feel about it, so I didn't tell you, but it's been bothering me all day because I don't want there to be secrets between us, and I just thought that maybe if you thought I was hiding something that you--"

He cut me off by kissing me, then looked down at me with affection. "Ryder. Don't be so paranoid, alright?"

"That was a very nice way to tell me to shut up."

Cain smiled and kissed me again.

"Ryder?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

My heart beat a little faster, but...other than that, I felt nothing. Cain was telling me that he loved me, and I couldn't say it back, because I felt literally nothing. I'd been thinking about this for almost a week as well: the sparks were gone. I just didn't feel...anything. He was extremely attractive, and very kind, and funny, and smart, but I couldn't force myself to love him back. He was everything I'd ever wanted out of a guy, and I couldn't enjoy it. Rage built in my chest. This was all Corey's fault. If he hadn't come back, I could be telling Cain that I loved him right now. But because of him, I couldn't say it.

"It's Corey, isn't it?" he asked quietly, watching my face.

"I don't love him."

"I know. But you don't love me either."

"It's been three months," I muttered, shifting uncomfortably under his gaze and avoiding eye contact.

"That's alright." He kissed me on the forehead.

I looked up in to his dark green eyes, and briefly imagined white eyelashes surrounding them. It made me angry again. "I have to go."

"Did I say it too soon?" he asked, suddenly looking worried.

Yeah, kind of. "That's not what's wrong. I just...need to do something."

"What's that?"

"Either kill or mame your brother."

"Sounds fun. May I ask why?"

"I just need to."

Cain touched his lips to my forehead again briefly. "Alright. Try not to kill him."

"No promises."

"That's my girl." He smiled at me and kissed me gently. "I'll see you later, alright?"

"Of course."

But I wasn't sure about that either.

* * * * *

I found Corey at his parents' house--go figure. Unlike Cain, he was still living there with his parents because he couldn't support himself. After his mother let me in, I walked upstairs immediately and opened his door, not bothering to knock.

He was dead asleep.

Seriously? It's noon. And you're asleep.

Then, something caught my eye. He had a new tattoo. And suddenly his Christmas present made sense to me.