Chapter Twenty Seven

A/N: Two chapters left. <3 Updating this a day early because I can't wait any longer. Also, enjoy those Natsu doodles from my diary. I'm bored and procrastinating on hw so...

Natsu's POV

Saving Gray was just within my grasp; only a sheet of glass stood in the way of our escape.

I knew it would hurt like hell to smash it with my fist, but a couple of bloody knuckles could heal. Gray getting injected with that serum would not.

I wound my fist back, prepared to break the glass, when I heard Lucy's voice.

"Stop moving," She demanded. Against my will, I froze in place. I exhaled frustratedly and looked up at Gray, who had a worried look on his face. "Put your hand by your side." My hand dropped immediately, no matter how hard I resisted against it.

Damn it! I mentally cursed, annoyed Hypnosia was just toying with me. I'm stronger than this!

Lucy ordered for me to step away from the dome, and my feet moved like lead as I stepped out of the way. I watched her, still under her hypnotic grasp, unable to move my body again. It was like she put up an invisible forcefield, like a mime in a box.

She knelt down to unlock the keypad with a passcode, and the dome lowered into the ground. Gray yanked on the chains, trying desperately to pull them off his wrists. He clenched his teeth, nearly tripping over himself in an attempt to get free.

Asano moved towards us, carrying the serum carefully in his hands. Lucy turned to me again, prying my fingers open - much to my demise - and stealing away the tiny container of my blood. She poured it into the blue liquid and they reacted violently, making a hissing sound and swirling into a bright purple color.

Lucy capped the serum and approached Gray. Like it was happening in slow motion, she moved towards him as Gray stepped back. When he couldn't move any further, I saw the panic set into his facial expression. He watched her closely, and I could feel Lucy's mental grip on me loosening.

She was unwinding, like a fragile ribbon. Gray was her weakness; I could tell. Her hands shook, and her breathing was choppy. For whatever reason, after everything that had happened, she was still hesitant to do this. I wanted to shout out to her, tell her she didn't have to, but I couldn't find the words. They remained lodged in the back of my throat, forcing me to swallow nervously.

Her guard dropped completely, and I took it as my only chance to stop her from injecting that serum into Gray, because I knew once she did, there would be no going back from it. I didn't know what exactly was going to happen, but I knew it wasn't something good, so I knew I had to do everything in my power to save him from that needle.

I bolted towards Lucy, doing the only thing that made sense at the time. I pulled her hood off her head, revealing her identity to Gray.

Gray's face of panic morphed into surprise and confusion, and then ultimate betrayal. "L-Lucy?" His voice broke, as if he was about to cry. "H-how could you do this to me...?"

Those were the last words he said before the screaming began.

- - - -

A/N: Gore trigger warning...

I watched with stricken horror as Gray clutched his chest, heaving in gulps of air.

He fell forward, dropping to his knees, still grabbing onto his front. He screeched in pain, and the noise so unbearably painful I knew I'd never be able to forget it. His screams ripped through his throat in the air, nearly knocking me over in surprise. The sound reverberated across the walls, making the room shake.