Prologue

"What the fuck?" he growls, yanking me off the floor by my lifeless red curls. He hated my blonde hair, said red heads were sexier.

"I go to work for an hour and here you are trying to get away from me?" he screams, taking the razor from my fist and throwing it at the door. He tugs my hair tighter, pulling to his ugly face, "You better listen here bitch, you ain't getting away from me," he hisses, puckering his lips and spitting in my face.

I let it slide down my face, mixing with my tears. I glance at his cold green eyes wondering what I had ever seen in him. He was perfect before, life and laughter shining through his god like body. He took me in, took care of me, loved and provided for me. And then, all changed. He changed.

"Since you can't behave, I'll have to leave you like last time." He yanks me to the closet, sitting me down in the cramped space and locking the door.

Time passes slowly, as it does every day. Tears still fall, and the blood still surfaces from my scarred wrists.

I wish he'd let me go, or kill me. I'd be fine with either, but the last one seems best.

++++

"Wake up you slut." A sneer like grin comes into view, as my eyes flutter from my only peace like state.

It's only then I realize I'm on by back, hands tied above my head, my skin bare and open to all eyes.

"Punishment is in store for you," he cackles, leaning down to kiss my lips. I refrain from throwing up in disgust.

He crawls on top of me, crushing my lungs with his weight, grinding his crotch into mine. I wanted to cry, but I don't. I don't anymore.

As he pulls off his pants and boxers, a frantic knock on the door stops him from entering what was once private.

"Fucking shit," he growls, slapping me across the cheek. "Stay quiet. Don't make a sound."

I hear the door open, "What?" He yells, agitated.

"My name is Officer Pete. I've gotten reports of periodic screaming in this area. Mind if I look around?"

Please. I plead. Please come save me.

"Actually officer, the only screaming that they might have heard is me and my wife celebrating our anniversary this week. It's actual a special night for us. I-"

He cuts him off, "I won't go in the bedroom, I'll just take a look around the other places. Mandatory state regulations."

Tears fall. I wanted him to come here. I wanted him to find me.

"Of course, Officer." I can almost here the fake smile on his face.

Scream. I tell myself. Scream, you can do it.

I wanted to get out of here. I do as my conscious tells me, and let an ear piercing scream echo the little room.

Immediate footsteps follow, and I hope they're Pete's.

I squeeze my eyes tightly, terrified.

"Oh my god." Someone whispers, immediately calling for back up.

A grunt and a smack makes me open my eyes just in time to see Pete knock out my husband with the butt of his gun.

"Ma'am, can I untie you or would you want to wait for a lady to help you?" he murmurs kindly, taking in the fact that I might not want the help from another male.

"Please get me down," I croak, speaking for the first time in forever. I don't care about the fact that I'm nude, I'm just happy it's all over.

Pete rushes over, undoing the knots and wrapping me in a sheet, "There are clothes at the hospital. I'm going to get you out of here. Is it okay if I carry you?" When I nod my consent, he scoops me up and outside, directing the arriving officers to the knocked out man inside.

Just as he's about to put me in the passenger seat, an ambulance arrives. He carries me over to the paramedics, and into their care.

"I'll see you soon. Okay?" Pete whispers, the older man tenderly kissing my head. Tears prick my eyes, wishing I could be in the arms of my family right now.

As the doors to the ambulance shut, my eyes drift close as I know I am finally free.