The Past Hates Change

Chapter 14: One's past is Fate's game of monopoly

These past weeks had been peaceful, with maybe a side of crazy, for us.

After the amazing hospital visit by James, we decided to be together, as a couple,....we did fool around a little on the hospital bed

Not that that's anyone's business.

Carrie came back in when James left, with the most insane grin on her face. Though I was used to her looking like that.

Things were a little crazy afterwards. I was released from the hospital, after a couple days of rest, and me and James spent the whole week at the new apartment. I refused to think about school.

Carrie being the ever saint (Pfft) she is, decided that she would go directly to the board.

Well she did and I could guess she looked like she would make hell for the entire district if they didn't at least suspend Thomas. Carrie was a good ally, while a fierce enemy. The board decided to suspend Thomas for at least two months. I had to go back to school tomorrow.

Ryder insisted that he stayed home too for the week I agreed he should... You know he was giving me The Look. Carrie put her foot down at that and poor Ryder had to brave through school. My little soldier.

Tommy was in the hospital, recovering. I felt a cold dip in my spine. The dark haired monster was inches away from death thanks to James, but before he died an ambulance and a cop car had arrived, as I was told.

I didn't know how I felt about that.

The dark eyed demon had almost died and it was all thanks to the person I loved. It was weird to feel that I was protected.

James was my savior... My special person. A concept I never grasped as a child and not even as a young adult. Who really has time to read fairy tales when your father is smacking you around.

“Yo shorty... Earth to Eli.” I blinked my eyes and found James staring at me. He was sitting on the same couch as me. We were watching a movie. A crime drama if I recall.

James turned towards me. “Hey. You all right?” Concern laced his voice. I nodded my head. He looked at me for a bit longer. “Alright.” He slowly settled back in to the couch, his arm naturally wrapping around me. “I'm not a girl, bastard.” I mumbled. He just flashed me a smirk.

It was a calm silence as the movie continued...

“WASSUP BITCHES!”

...Until Carrie made her entrance...

She stepped in front of the TV. Simon stood a little off to the side, smiling at his girlfriend's antics. “What is it Carrie?” I asked dully.

“Do I need a reason to say hi to my lovelies?” I raised an eyebrow. “lovelies?...” James whispered. Simon chuckled.

“Whatever. Anyways, today you lazy ducklings are going shopping with me.” Confusion all around.

“Uhh, what the hell are you talking about?” James said with his eyebrows furrowed together. Aww, he looks adorable when he's confused. I smiled.

“We're going to the mall, dipshit.” Carrie's endearment to the oaf was still baffling. I could see James pale at the mere thought of shopping. And frankly, I wasn't going to enjoy this trip either.

Simon smirked. Looks like he talked Carrie into making this a “family trip”

Family. I liked the sound of that.

Ryder walked into the living room just then. Looking around I could guess he took an assessment of the situation before shaking his head no. Ha, smart guy. Carrie stared at him huffing. “Fine then. Not like we need you.” Ryder half-smiled. He walked toward the couch and sat next to me.