Innocence is Vain

Chapter 4: Innocence is the reason most people should be kept from the world. For the world does not need more vain people.

They pulled up in the gravel driveway. Carrie was out of the car in seconds, leaving James still fumbling with the seat belt.

The house was huge....No that was an understatement. Too big for any regular family to live in.

Carrie stood outside of the car, frowning at the mansion before storming up the driveway. The black haired man following closely behind her.

They made it to the door no problem, with the victorian style house looming over them. She snarled before banging on the door.

Once.

Twice.

Three times.

No one answered. She quickly grabbed the handle and flung the door open. Stomping her way effectively through the house. No one being here was never a good sign.

James stepped inside. It was magnificent, beautiful, stunning, but had an empty feeling.... an unwelcome feel. James shuddered as he followed the now running Carrie into the kitchen.

Green eyes darted around the kitchen. It looked homey but the empty feeling was still there. Like you were just looking at a setup in a magazine.

Carrie's eyes landed on a door in a small hallway, barely visible to the right, it was dark and a smell of humidity mixed with a putrid indistinguishable odor. The blue-eyed man scrunched his nose up at it.

Ugh what the hell is down there?...

Carrie swiveled to the door at the end of the hall...the smell just intensified. James put his arm over his nose. He felt nausea in his stomach rise up to bile in his throat...Her hands flew to the knob, turned it, and the cracked, peeling, wooden door flung open.

The smell made James gag as Carrie, stone faced, stared down into the black abyss.

James after coughing profusely regained his composure as much as he could. A thought running rampant through his head. Is Eli down there?

.

.

...

....

.

.

(Eli's Pov)

My tears slid down my cheeks in the dark. The stench made me gag every so often. I hated this place. It was too dark and cold. I shivered. Way too cold. The pain... It felt as if the pain was coming from an unknown source in the dark.

My ribs protested from my heavy breathing. I slowly heaved out as a yell greeted me.

"Eli?"

I sucked in a breath. That voice was Carrie's. Thank whoever is in the heavens, she came through. I wanted to reach for her but I just spoke.

"Y-Yeah." Tears still leaked silently.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. Reassurance. It felt nice to have someone to count on.

"I-I'm s-sorry." It was a quiet whisper only meant for Carrie. I slowly let out a shaky breath.

Something felt off though. The hand was too big to be Carrie's.

"James is here." Carrie's voice penetrated the darkness. Her voice was high up...No where near me.

I quickly flailed away from the hand. Stand up, much to the annoyance of my ribs, a few feet away from the hand actually. My feet stumbled but I quickly regained my balance. I felt myself limping. I think I sprained my ankle from the fall down the stairs...