Chapter 19 ~ next thing I know

Chapter: 19

The Links eyes darkened in amusement, “that’s the spirit,” he cheered.

I froze feeling helpless, why had I said that?

“Unfortunately, you aren’t in the right place to enter the after-realm… You’re being pulled back. But how’s this: next Monday after that silly birthday that you’re invited to, go the address that will be written on the back of your hand the night before. Trust me it’ll be there,

“then you will need to feel completely ready, by then I’d say you would be. Any-who think about it Anna Misty, and farewell,”

Everything spun wildly and I fell backward something barking like a dog and pulling me back with forceful hands… prying me back to reality.  

 I looked up “Anna your eyes,” Mark worriedly begun.

“This is the second that’s happened.” I stared at him, feeling clammy and helpless.

You mustn’t tell him… a voice slithered into my mind.

please, I can’t help you anymore Mark… I-I just can’t keep doing this. So just please don’t tell anyone.”

The rest of the week sped by, and by this I mean a day and a half, because it was now Thursday and I had avoided everyone I knew up until now. I'd gotten Mark to swear to keep everything he’d witnessed a secret.

But that didn’t mean he was going to leave me alone.

It’s the day before our biology test and the big party.

All I can think about is this stupid Link and Seeker business.

I haven’t really focused much on my work even though I’ve used my study as a shield if anyone has tried to talk to me.

“Sorry I have a test Friday,” always on the tip of my tongue the moment someone approached.

But right now I felt like I needed an escape, one last hour of time to myself, in complete zen.

I’m not much of a retail therapy person, but I needed to stock up the food for our minny fridge and some of the kitchens stuff anyway.

That way my father might finally see that the money is going to good use.

With my ear-phones plugged into my mp3 player I listened to Regina Spektor in the fruit and vegetable isle.  

Closing my eyes and smelling an apple I didn’t realise I was being watched until he spoke.

“Anna,” I jumped, dropping the apple and turned around.

“Jay,” I sighed, “you scared the living day-lights out of me!”

I paused my music.

He chuckled picking up the bruised fruit, “I’ll pay for this,” he said guiltily.

“what-so uh, what brings you here?” I asked biting my lip piercing.

“I’m getting some stuff for tomorrow’s party!” he expressed as if it was the most obvious reason in the world... which it kind of was.

My cheeks grew warm with heat, “uhm of cause,” I weakly laughed.

“speaking of, are you going? I’ve heard you’ve been studying your butt off, you need a break man!” he slapped my shoulder on ‘man’   making me wince.

Do I go or not?

I went over the pros and cons quickly in my mind…

“I guess-,”