25 DAYS BEFORE THE INTRUSION

Ben is here. My best friend. My only friend. I've known Ben since he was 3 years old and we have always shared everything to even books, and I don't share my books... Ever. Ben has always been there for me. He's always helped him when I need help or anything pretty much. He's the best friend anyone can have and that's saying a lot. He's just, I don't know, he's always trustworthy. I can trust him on anything and I know he won't go blabbing his mouth around to everyone else. 
Ben sits up on my bed and I sit on my beanbag chair, the pink one I got for my birthday two years ago, when I was 14. 

"Claire, why are you so nice?" He asks, and I'm taken aback by that. I wouldn't consider myself as nice sometimes, I guess I never really pay attention if I'm nice or mean.

"I don't really know," is all I manage to say and smile at him. 

He gets up from my bed and slowly walks over and sits with me on my beanbag chair. 

"You're really nice to me, to be honest," he says, looking at me with careful eyes. 

"I'm really happy to hear that," I smile. 
He smiles back at me and we just sit there in silence looking at each other. Then, Ben leans in a plants his soft lips onto mine. I was in shock, but I kissed him back. This was our first kiss, ever. It was my first kiss at least. I smiled on his lips. We kept kissing, and then after a long time we split apart.

"Claire, I'm so sorry... I... I didn't mean to," he looked at me like he was trying to escape. 

"Ben! It's Okay! I'm not mad at you, but I am a little confused." 

"What are you confused about?" He asks, with a perplexed face on.

"What was this about?" I sort of laugh when I'm saying this.

"Um, yeah... Uh, I mean, I don't really know. This is actually my second kiss and ugh uh, wait never mind. Forget about it. I guess I'm a bit, confused, if you know what I mean." 

"Ah, Ben. It's alright. I understand," I smile, leaning in to hug Ben. 

Then I ask him who was his first kiss, out of curiosity.

"George," he says really fast and then hides his face in the blanket.

"Wow. So, are you guys a thing?" While I'm asking him, I'm thinking about George and how I never imagined my best friend to "hang out" with someone like that. I never really imagined that to be one of Ben's type. George was really pale and had his hair brushed to thee side. I remember he told me that he wasn't athletic, and I also remember that he always wore a orange sweater.... no, a white one but with orange letters saying OSHS. He never took it off, I would always laugh at that. I've known George since pre-K, too. I think I met Ben and George both at the same time. 

"Yeah, sort of. We are just like, you know, trying things out to see if it all goes well and you know. I mean, since our school is so judgmental, then I don't think we will become that open. Only to like, uh, a few people."

"Hm, very interesting. Well, I'm really happy for you," I am still so lost and bewildered at this information that is unfolding in front of me. It's pretty funny, actually. 

"Ben, let me hug you," I reach over and hug him really tight and tell him I am really happy for him and that no matter what we will always be best friends. He tells me thank you and that we will always be best friends.
We spend the rest of the time looking at each other. 

Then I break the silence.

"So, does your mom know?" Is what I ask.

"Yeah, she's ok with it, you know, she explained to me how happy she was but she wished she would've known sooner."

"Oh, that's so cool!" I smile, again.

"Yup!" He has changed so much, I have noticed.

 When we were in pre-K, he was this happy kid and never really got in trouble. In elementary, he was pretty much the same. Middle school, he started getting away from his usual side and started becoming elusive. And now in high school he has finally accepted who he is and has become happy. I tilt my head down and smile at myself. I am truly really happy for them.

"Sweeties, dinner is ready for the both of you," I turn my head around and see my mom. I tell her that we will be out in 5 minutes. 
Ben hugs me one last time and I smile into his arm. I love Ben, he is just so amazing. 
We walk to the table and my mom serves the food, pot roast. My mom looks at the two of us and asks if everything is alright. We say yes at the same time. 
Garred is not here for dinner and I am very happy for that. Finally, he is gone. 
We eat in silence, then when we finish Ben helps me clean the dishes and we head back to my room. 

We talk for maybe like another half hour. After we finish talking about George and stuff, he leaves and I just lay there in bed thinking, dang! George! Who could've imagine George would be his type. 

For the first time in the past month since we started having money trouble and Garred's abrupt abusive nature started happening, I am finally able to go to sleep smiling and that is the best thing ever.