Chapter One

"Shadowpaw, do you have anything to say for yourself?" questioned Skystar, Streamclan's leader. Shadowpaw's fur stuck on end, and her eyes shook with terror. "But I didn't do it!" she squeaked, her pitch-black fur bristling. Skystar narrowed her eyes and flicked her tail towards Wolfpaw's lifeless, grey body. "You're fur has been identified in his claws. You're filthy stench is on his fur. And you expect me to believe you didn't kill him?" she hissed. Shadowpaw dipped her head and flattened her ears. She looked around her to see al the devastated faces of her clan mates. Her best friend, Cloudypaw, the medicine cat apprentice, even shook her head towards her. Mother, if you are among us now, please tell my leader this was not my doing... Shadowpaw's heart shook at the thought of her mother. "I swear... it wasn't me".

"Who could've it been? You were the only one to be hunting with Wolfpaw at the time" Skystar growled, a stern tone to her voice.

"A rogue cat attacked us. It's paws were black like mine. We drove it off territory by ourselves, but Wolfpaw didn't make it. My scent is over him because I dragged him back to camp" Shadowpaw explained. Skystar didn't seem impressed. "Unlikely story. Shadowpaw, from now on, you are banished from Streamclan. If you are seen on our territory again, I have no choice but to give permission for our warriors to kill you". Shadowpaw looked up in disbelief. "What! Y-you can't do this! You have to believe me!" she yowled, tears in her eyes.

"Shadowpaw, I said, you are now banished. Get out of my camp before we kill you now". Shadowpaw droopily padded throw the cave tunnel out of camp, looking back once more at her home for the last time. Her green eyes were clouded with sadness, and her tail drooped behind her. She carefully made her way through the undergrowth and caught a mouse on the way out, hoping she wouldn't be noticed. "I can't believe it...." she mewed to herself. "What do I do now... where do I go...". Her mind was too clouded with horrible thoughts to think properly. From now on, she would be called Shadow, and try to be the rogue feared by all clans. Oh, she would get her revenge. Suddenly, she heard a twig snap. Her ear twitched to the right. As she turned, a light-grey tom caught into her sight. Shadowpaw un-sheathed her claws without hesitation. The tom backed away slowly, not preparing for attack. "I'm not gonna hurt you, dumb furball" he growled.

Shadowpaw tilted her head, confused. Didn't normal rogue cats HATE eachother? Didn't they attack almost EVERY cat? The tom sniffed at her and pulled a face. "I'm guessing you're from a Clan. But it's back that way, why are you going so far?" he asked. Shadowpaw hissed and stepped closer. "That's none of your business. Now go away!". The tom smiled. "I'm just asking. It just looks like you're lost, that's all". Shadowpaw's hostility died down. This tom.. was trying to help her. "I got banished from my Clan for something that I didn't do, and now I don't know where to go..." she cried, sitting down.

"We can't have you sitting here doing nothing about it though, can we?" the tom said. "I know somewhere you can stay tonight. But tomorrow, I will bring you to Sandclan". Shadowpaw tilted her head. "Uhm... Sandclan? I think you got the name wrong- there are only four clans in this forest".

"Well now there's a new one. Us loners and rogue's are sick of warrior-born cats and getting kicked out of their territory for hunting. So we formed our own clan and are willing to fight against them" the tom explained. "Looking at you, I think you'd be the perfect fighter". Shadowpaw couldn't help but smile. Not many had complemented her about battle skills, or fighting. "I'll think about it... just show me where I can sleep today and I'll let you know tomorrow" yawned Shadowpaw.p

The tom led her into a small hole into a tree, placing moss down for her to rest. "I didn't catch you're name" he mewed.

"Oh, I'm Shadow" she meowed, her eyes glinting. The tom flattened his ears. "That's a bit of a tom name for you, but oh well. I'm Mistpaw. I'll let my Clan know that there's a rogue staying here so you should be fine for now". Shadow licked his ear and mewed. "Thank you". Mistpaw padded off into the distance. Shadow settled into her nest and slowly drifted off to sleep. Oh mother, if you could see me now... She thought, trying to dream with Starclan.