Chapter 3

Matt's POV

She's changed. She's gotten skinnier. Her face looked weak and pale, as if she had not slept properly for countless nights.

Her cheekbones had become more prominent than

before. She looked so feeble.

I looked at the girl seated next to her. She looked just like...me.

Is this our daughter ?

I saw the confusion and emotion in her eyes.

"Mom," she whispered.

But Olivia didn't move. And neither did anyone else. She still had her gaze fixed on me.

"...Hey," I said.

"Hi," she replied.

"Who's she ?" I said as I pointed towards the girl on the couch. I knew who she was, but I just wanted to be sure.

"This is...Juliette." she answered.

I looked at Olivia and asked "Our..dau-"

"Yes," she cut me off.

With tears in her eyes, the girl ran outside.

We all stood in silence until Jimmy left the room saying that he was gonna go look for Juliette, Victoria said that she was gonna go finish cooking, and the rest of the guys made up an excuse to leave me and Olivia alone.

"How old is she ?" I asked her.

"15," she replied, her eyes not leaving the ground.

I've missed out on 15 years of my daughter's life. Ive missed her first word, her first steps, everything.

"She looks like me," I whispered. Olivia nodded.

"Does she know I'm her father?"

"Yeah that's kinda why she ran out. And she knows that you've denied her and that you didn't wanna be apart of her life. She even remembers the wedding day on which she was the flower girl. You know, the day you didn't show up." she started to become angry.

"She was 6," i said, "how could she remember ? You probably told her."

"I didn't tell her anything about the wedding," she responded quickly and tempestuously. "She hates you Matt!" she was starting to yell now.

"Stop yelling at me," I said, controlling my temper.

"No! I have every right to be upset and so does Juliette. To her you're a dead beat dad ! Nothing else ! And I couldn't agree with her more!"

She tried catching breath as she turned away and blinked the tears away.

"I'm really sorry," I said.

"Apology not accepted. It's not gonna make up for 15 years of her not having a father."

"Maybe I could start now."

She laughed until she looked at me.

"Oh ..you're serious," she said.

I nodded.

"I don't think she'd want that," she said and looked away.

"Well," I said as I walked towards her, "do YOU want that?" I smirked and played with her fingers.

"Stop flirting," she pushed me away and walked away.

Before leaving she turned around and said

"You'll never be able to make up for those 15 years."

"Sounds like a challenge." I responded.

Juliette's POV

I looked at the calm ocean from the roof. The wind was blowing through my hair and it dried my tears.

"I thought I'd find you here," a voice coming from behind me said.

"Is there something you need, Uncle Jimmy ?" I asked.

"No."

"Then could you leave me alone?"

"No." he chuckled.

I turned my back towards him and heard his footsteps getting louder. He put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him.

"I thought you wanted to meet your dad."

"I couldn't handle it. It was all kind of overwhelming I guess. I wasn't expecting to see him tonight."

"You know, your father's a pretty nice guy."

I chuckled and replied "Yeah, that's why he's denied me, didn't wanna be around me or even marry my mom."

"Juliette," he said and looked at me, "Can you imagine how your dad felt when your mom told him that she was pregnant ? How hard it must've been not only for your mom but for your dad too. They were fifteen, as old as you are right now. If you had a kid, wouldn't that turn your world upside down ? What would you do if you were in his shoes ? He overreacted, I know. But they were teenagers. They weren't ready to be parents. At the end of the day, he's still your father. And I'd give him another shot if I were you."

"But Uncle Jimmy, he's -"

"Changed. He's not the same. Give your father a chance. Okay?"

I nodded.

"Good," he replied.

I don't know if I should or I shouldn't. Uncle Jimmy's got a point, he is my dad at the end of the day. But after everything he's done, what makes me so sure he's changed ? I really don't know what to do. I've always wanted a father but now, I'm not so sure.

"Uncle Jimmy?"

"Yes ?"

"Can I stay at your place tonight? I wanna avoid having any conversation about dad with my mom."

He laughed and replied "Sure, squirt." He pulled me into a big hug and kissed the top of my head.

"Thanks," I mumbled.