The Possessives - Prologue

"I'm not- No!" I whispered-yelled in the back of the classroom to my best friend, Jade.

"You're over reacting. He likes you and you like him," she paused to rub her temple. "You're making things complicated." I shook my head and sighed.

She did this all the time, so it was kind of expected. I propped my arm up on my desk and stared at the front of the history room. The teacher, Ms. Fates, was lecturing about mythology. Her eyes started to prickle tears as she started to talk about Zeus. Zeus and his many wives was always a touchy subject for her. In fact anything to do with a man was a touchy subject for her. It had been that way ever since her ex-husband cheated on her. I mentally started to count from five, waiting on her to lose it completely on us.

5

4

3.. Dang she's early!!

"I just can't do this any more! I-I don't understand why he just left me for some other woman!" She cried, as a headache started for me from her loud crying.

I dug in my pocket for my dark blue headphones and plugged them into my phone. Scrolling down thru the playlist, I heard Jade mumbling on about all the signs she had seen from him. I chuckled more to myself and clicked on the playlist title- 'Ms. Fates's break'. The playlist contained mostly the break-up songs I had on my phone, which wasn't many, considering the fact that I've never had a boyfriend.

I glanced around the room noticing everyone else doodling, whispering, and doing whatever they wanted while Ms. Fates cried her heart out. The room was a peachy nude color that just screamed out ugly. Desk were three feet apart from each other, so we could walk through the rows. It was like any other normal school room, boring, plain, and simple. I always got weird butterflies when I arrived. I'm not sure why, but part of me believes it's the way this school looks, like a prison. We have the prison gates around our school and security in the front. I had hated prisons all my life. Partially because my step-brother, Derek, has been in one since I was eleven.

Ms. Fates crying had faded away and she was handing out mythology worksheets. My thoughts went else where to my crush. I had always been strung over one guy ever since the end of sixth grade. Every time I was bored in class my thoughts would drift to him. I would wonder what class he was in or if he was bored. This time I was just plain out wondering where he was. I knew for a fact that he was in my class.

Him, Jacob Dean who arrived ten minutes late to class. Least he got to miss Ms. Fates cry time. I watched as he made his way to his seat across from me at out group of four table. Jade was grinning like there was no tomorrow as she nudged me. It irritated me the more she did it. Everyday in class she would nudge me, poke me, whatever that would work to make me look up. I knew he was there. He had been there since the beginning of the year. I tried to focus on the worksheet we were doing, but it's harder then you think when somebody's eyes are boring into you. I knew who it was. He started off staring just for a second, but now it felt like the whole hour of class. I causally lifted my head to catch Jacob staring at my face. A light pink blush rose to his face as he looked back down to his work.

Taking advantage of glancing up I looked over him taking in his appearance. His dark brown hair was attractively styled to a side part, and his chocolate brown eyes were calm. He looked at ease. My eyes focused on his pen he was writing with. It looked like a pen my dad gave to me before he left for the marines. My heart beat picked up thinking about my father, so I quickly directed my eyes to his cheekbones that were built perfectly. Jacob was your normal popular, but shy guy. He was tall and muscular. I had always wondered if he ever hugged me would I feel safe and protective like all those sappy love books say.The dark blue t-shirt he was wearing hugged his torso tightly. I thought about taping my mouth shut so I wouldn't drool over him. Then again I drool over him when he just comes into mind.