Chapter 3: Enter The Arena

Dedicated to Chompy.  She's also the person (besides TheMadLittleSloth) who bullied my into writing -- I honestly wouldn't have even done this without her pushing and pestering -- I mean that in the most affectionate way, I promise. She's a great friend besides being awesome-tastic and I luff her! Show her your support in this chapter by raping the vote button and commenting a whole bunch! 

Picture of Theo (Astrid Berges-Frisbey) in the sidebar.

Song of the chapter: Karmin's Crash Your Party

OH AND LISTEN TO THE SONG ON THE SIDE, I DON'T CARE WHEN JUST DO IT OKAY?! IT'S PERFECCTTTT.

Also, we explain the change of the POV in the post chapter AN.

Theo Dawson - July 14, 2013 (Sunday)

You're gonna huff and puff and blow the whole house down. Don't they know you're the king of the castle ... I'm here to crash your party. You think you're the star of the show, but I'm about to let you know -- I'm here to crash your party. The bigger you are the harder you fall, oh you had it all. Before I crashed your party.

Like Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben told him before he was mugged and murdered, “With great power comes great responsibility”.

Let me just tell you: Uncle Ben knew what he was talking about. My inhuman -- and very un-teenage-like ability -- to wake up at six in the morning (always and without fail) is a heavy burden to bear.

Add this to the fact that I’ve been running around after three extra hyper four-year-olds for the past eleven hours and the following words don’t even begin to cover my currently muddled thoughts: I have had a long day.

I couldn’t wait to tack on a period to the sentence that was today, July 14.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the foggy bus window, further settling myself into the lumpy leather seat. The rumble of the Number 12 bus drowned out Imagine Dragons’ ‘Bleeding Out’ that my beat up iPod was blaring into my eardrums.

The cold felt good against my temple -- like someone was running ice all over my overheated brain. Now if I could only lie down and soak myself in a tub of warm, bubbly water to soothe my now jelly-like muscles and relieve my creaking bones, I could truly die happy.

Ick. I sound like an old lady.

Come to think of it, I have spent most of the past few weeks watching over other people’s kids. If that didn’t scream ‘old lady’, I don’t really know what did.

Oh, yes. Hello, there.

My name is Theo Dawson.

Contrary to what I’ve just said, I’m not an old lady. I’m fifteen -- at least for two more weeks -- and I earn ten dollars an hour watching over kids.

That’s not a lot, you’re probably thinking.

When you’re on the speed dial of a couple of very rich families, ten bucks an hour definitely makes a lot of zero’s.

Of course, it doesn’t exactly add up to the money I’m going to need if I want to go to the Culinary Institute of America or the International Culinary Center -- both in New York -- but it’s a good start.

It’s not a pretty bad gig all-in-all especially since I have a, shall we say, talent with children. If you know how to handle kids, they’re not so bad -- though the Jackson triplets probably kicked that personal mantra out of the window today.