Chapter 24 - Dearly Beloved

July 1942

It was silent in the backseat of the Duesenberg, coming home from the mine. Jonathon kept his attention firmly on the passing trees, refusing to acknowledge Billy who was sitting next to him. Even though it had been nearly three weeks since Billy had made the rash decision to enlist, Jonathon was still barely speaking to him.

But then Billy had remained silent as well. He'd made a mess of so many of Jonathon's plans, and was either too thick to know, or didn't care. In any case, the brothers were at a stalemate. Billy stubbornly refused to apologize for his actions, and Jonathon refused to forgive him.

At the house, Helen was waiting for them in the foyer as usual. On the table where the telephone sat was the small cardboard box holding Billy's dinner. Billy had been spending his evenings at Kitty's house, usually not coming home until late at night.

Jonathon had balked at the waste of precious gas to drive him there now that it was being rationed. But Helen had spoken up on Billy's behalf, pleading that he and Kitty should be able to spend as much of the remaining time they had left with each other. Jonathon grudgingly agreed, and bit his tongue when she started packing him dinners so he wouldn't go hungry. He wasn't about to let Billy's stupid decision cause problems between him and Helen.

Billy reached for his dinner, but Helen stopped him by holding out a long white envelope. "This came for you." Even though he wasn't standing close to it, Jonathon recognized the insignia of the United States Army in the corner.

Billy stared at the envelope and then slowly reached to take it. "I guess this is it," he said quietly to himself. He examined the address, then turned it around so he could tear the flap. There was a tense silence while he opened the letter and read it. Then he looked up at Jonathon, his expression grave. "I have to be in Georgia on Monday."

"But today's Tuesday!" Helen cried. "That's not enough time for you to prepare."

"He belongs to the army now," Jonathon said, his eyes still on Billy. "They decide how much time is enough."

"Georgia is so far away," Helen said, her eyes reddening.

Billy let out a breath, his shoulders drooping as he folded the letter.

"I expect you'll have to leave Friday or Saturday," Jonathon said. "We'll look at the train schedules tomorrow."

"Okay," Billy said, his head down while he took his dinner box. "I better get going. Kitty will want to know."

"See you later, Billy," Helen said.

"Yeah, I'll see you."

When he was gone, Helen turned to Jonathon, studying him with sorrow in her eyes.

"It was going to happen eventually," he muttered, reaching for the rest of the mail next to the telephone. He headed into the grand parlor, intent on making himself a drink.

"Let me get it for you," Helen said behind him, and he went to the nearest couch instead. "I'll have Annie wash all of Billy's clothes tomorrow," she said, taking the top off the whiskey decanter. "He won't need to take much since the army will give him all new clothes, but I'll make sure everything is ready so he can choose what he wants."

She handed Jonathon his glass and sat beside him. "He's going to be gone a long time. The training takes months."

"I know," Jonathon said, and took a swallow so he wouldn't have to look at her.

"I just – I wanted you to be prepared."

He kept his eyes on the unopened letters in his hand, a mixture of emotions rolling through him.