Chapter 19 - Why Don't You Do Right?

By the time they'd finished their dessert, Jonathon was anxious to spend time alone with Helen. This would be the first time he'd be able to have her all to himself, and he was looking forward to blissful hours, uninterrupted by anyone.

Annie stood and began gathering dishes, and Helen rose to help her. Not wanting to make her uncomfortable again by pointing out that was Annie's job, Jonathon said, "Why don't you come with me, Helen? You can write a note to your aunt and uncle."

"Oh, okay," she said, setting a stack of plates back on the table.

He didn't miss the longing look she gave Annie before turning to leave with him. It was understandable she'd wish she could remain with her best friend, he decided on the way to the library. Hopefully, it wouldn't be that long before she felt comfortable enough she'd want to be with him instead.

In the library, there was a small desk where his mother used to do her correspondence. "Do you know what you're going to say to them?" he asked while he went through the drawers.

"I think so. I've been thinking about what to tell them for a while."

She didn't offer anything more, and he decided not to ask. He didn't want to make it seem like he didn't trust her by pushing her to reveal what she was going to write. He located a sheet of stationary paper and an envelope, then pulled the chair out for her. "Here you go," he offered with a smile.

Once she was seated, he went to the opposite side of the room, wanting to give her privacy. The sound of pen scratching on paper was the only sound in the room, and while he pretended to be looking at books, he glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. She was leaning forward as she wrote, her blond hair partially covering her face, and he drank her in. It still seemed like a miracle she was there.

She straightened, reading over what she'd written, and he faced the bookshelves. "It's done," she said with a sigh, sliding the folded paper into the envelope. Standing, she held it out to him.

"You should come with me to give it to James. We can take a walk after."

Her expression instantly lightened. "That would be nice."

James was in the garage, and Jonathon gave him the note with instructions to deliver it right away. Then he led Helen around the back of the garage. Pulling aside the branches that covered entrance to the path, he stood by to allow Helen to walk through.

While they walked side by side, birds sang and fluttered above them, and he looked up. It was a warm day for April and a slight breeze made the new spring leaves on the trees rustle.  He smiled, thinking about how he'd been too nervous and preoccupied to notice until that moment, but the weather couldn't have been more perfect for his and Helen's wedding day.

When they reached the clearing, Jonathon wondered if Helen would say anything about the cabin, but as they continued walking, she remained silent.

"You remember the cabin, don't you?" he said, hoping that would prompt her.

"I've never forgotten it," she said, gazing at it wistfully, and then looked at him with embarrassment. "You probably thought I was stupid for liking it so much. I remember you didn't think it was that special."

"I didn't think that at all! I would never think you were stupid."

They had nearly passed it by now, and Jonathon decided he'd better speak up.

"Would you like to go inside?"

"If that's okay," she said with a smile, letting him know she'd been hoping he'd offer.