Chapter 18 - Paper Doll

Jonathon drummed his fingers on his knee while he looked out the Duisenberg's rear window. Helen's taxi would be arriving at any minute, and he was a bundle of nerves.

She hadn't called him since he'd left her with instructions not to tell anyone they were going to get married, so he had to assume everything had gone according to plan. But nagging doubts had tortured him non-stop for the last few days.

What if she'd changed her mind? He'd relived their conversation over and over, and each time he'd remembered the way she'd been so hesitant to agree. And after she's said yes, she'd seemed unhappy. It made him worry she might not go through with it.

"There they are," James said as a yellow cab pulled into the train station's parking lot. He got out and opened the door for Jonathon as the cab pulled up beside them.

Jonathon didn't wait for James to open the taxi's door. "Helen!" Seeing her, a wave of relief washed through him. He gave her his hand and helped her out of the back seat. "How are you?" he asked, eyeing her carefully.

"I'm fine. Everything went okay."

"I'm glad to hear it," he said with a relieved sigh.

She watched James help the taxi driver transfer her suitcase and a cardboard box tied with string to the Duisenberg's trunk.

"Is that all you have?" he asked, noticing how little she'd brought.

"I don't own that many things," she said, still watching the two men.

James slammed the trunk shut.

"Are you ready?" Jonathon asked.

"I am," she said, but she wouldn't meet his eyes.

When James pulled out of the parking lot, Jonathon handed her a small box. "I got you something."

She took it and lifted the lid. "They're lovely, thank you," she said, quietly, taking out a white gardenia corsage.

"I wanted you to have flowers on your wedding day."

She held them on her lap. "They smell good."

"Would you like me to pin it for you?" he asked when she didn't move to do it herself.

"Okay."

When he took them, he was surprised his hands were shaking. He didn't want her to notice, but it had to be obvious by how much the petals quivered while he pinned it to her jacket. After he'd finished, he clasped his hands in his lap to hide the tremors.

She lifted the corsage close to her nose to smell the flowers, then looked out the window. With her facing away from him, he couldn't stop staring at her. Thank goodness she wasn't wearing that awful black dress again. Instead she had on a blue suit in the shade he always loved to see on her because it accented the blue in her eyes. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," she said, giving him a small smile. After a moment, she added, "You look nice too."

She was being a lot more quiet than usual, and he wished things weren't so awkward between them. "It shouldn't be long before we reach the county courthouse," he said to fill the silence. "I made an appointment with the Justice of the Peace so we won't be delayed."

"That sounds good," she said without enthusiasm, then faced the window again.

He looked out his own window, his happiness seeping away. He'd always imagined his wedding day would be filled with joy and love. But because he and Helen were forced to rush into getting married, the day was ruined. It was one more thing Walt had taken from him, he decided bitterly. He'd stolen that special day from both of them.