Chapter Thirty: Something to Believe In

“Hayley! Did you finish the music?” Stacy asks as she strides over to my cubicle.

          “Yes, it’s all done!” I wave the iPod touch that I’ve preloaded with songs in front of her.

          “And did you call David about the-“

          “Speakers? Yes, they’ll be here around three,” I reply.

          “Okay, great! Is there anything else we have left to do?” she wonders as she stares down at the notebook she’s holding.

          “Um, no I think we’ve got everything under control,” I assure her.

          “Good, well take a break now and we’ll talk later tonight. 6:30 sharp!” she reminds me as she walks away.

          I sigh. The event is tonight and although everything is pretty much ready, I’m definitely not in the mind set to go. With Cameron gone, everything is upside down. “Well, we could always not go,” Jess had told me on the phone this morning.

          “No, it’s fine. We’re going,” is what I’d said even though I was almost positive it wasn’t going to end well.

          I really had to do this, though. If I wanted to make a good impression and show that I actually was committed to working here, this was the only chance that I had.

          “Ready for tonight?” Charlotte walks over, holding a box of old issues.

          “Gah, I guess,” I doodle on the notepad where I’ve jotted down Stacy’s messages.

          “Something tells me you don’t want to go at all,” she plops down in the chair next to me.

          “I really don’t; but I have to.”

          “Is it about him?”

          “Yes, unfortunately. But now he’s gone missing and I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do…” I trail off.

          Her eyes are instantly filled with worry. “What do you mean he’s gone? He just suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth?”

          “Yes, pretty much. I can’t find him anywhere. I looked all over L.A. and Tom has no idea where he could be. It’s just hopeless, he’s never going to come back.”

          “Now don’t say that! He’ll turn up-in fact, I’m sure you’ll see him tonight begging on his knees to take you back.”

          “Ha-ha. Nice try, that already kinda happened…I’m not really sure if I can trust him at all anymore-after what happened that night, there’s just no way.”

          “Hayley, everybody makes stupid mistakes. If anything, maybe Cameron didn’t mean to do that with her at all. And even if he did, it seems like he truly loves you anyway. I’m sure he’s gone through so much trouble just trying to get you back. Everyone deserves a second chance.”

          A second chance? Is that what I should really give Cameron? It was hard to give out second chances, especially here in Hollywood, where you couldn’t trust every ‘nice’ guy you saw.

          “I’ll try to keep that in mind,” I tell Charlotte as a smile spreads across her freckled face.

          As she walks away, I IM Jess on the computer.