Chapter Ten: Car Crash

“God, why are you watching that?” Caroline walks into the room carrying a tray with two tall glasses of iced tea.

            I look up from where I’m sprawled out on the couch. I’m watching Silent Library, which is probably the best show ever. There’s six contestants on the show and they have to endure unusual punishments while being quiet. It’s really funny, but can get out of control and disgusting at times.

            “Because, it’s freaking awesome,” I sit upright and fix my hair.

            Caroline rolls her eyes. “Impossible, this has got to be the worst show on television.”

            I ignore her and watch as the band members of Hey Monday and Stereo Skyline are hit with the rubber blades of a fan.

            “Seriously, there’s no point to it,” she takes a sip of her iced tea.

            Caroline and I always seem to argue. Lately, however, it seems like we’re having more “civilized” disagreements instead.         

            “The point is that people can win money for doing absolutely ridiculous things.”

            “Yes, but why would they want to do ridiculous things?”

            “For publicity. It’s simple, once they get on MTV, they’ll be ‘popular’,” I make quotation marks with my fingers.

            “Yes, but they’ll be humiliated.”

            “But they get money.”

            “Still humiliated.”

            I swear, one day I’m going to apply Caroline for this show.

            “Whatever, I’m going upstairs,” she takes her iced tea and leaves.

            Better.

            I take the other iced tea off the tray and watch the rest of the episode.

            My Sidekick buzzes.

<fantaaa92> WHERE R U?????

<iheartthebeatles> OH MY GOD!!! I’M SOOOOO SRY!!! I’LL BE THERE SOON.

            Crap. I had completely forgotten about Jess’s photo shoot with Sixteen.

            I grab the keys to the car and am about to leave when I look down at my clothes.

            I’m wearing gray sweats and a baggy white t-shirt. There’s no way I can present myself like this-even though I don’t exactly “like” the magazine.

            I rush upstairs and throw on a white peasant top and some distressed jeans.

            I slide down the stairwell (something I haven’t done in years, but am still convinced I’m a pro), and dash to the car outside.

            Once I’m in the car, I check my message inbox to see the location Jess had texted me for the photo shoot.

            The photo shoot was going to be at Lucy’s, this ultra-cool “blast from the past” 50’s diner downtown. It has the best milkshakes and malts in all of L.A.