Chapter One

Mom and I were headed to the market to get out food for dinner. We were taking a path through the alley, so there was a lesser chance of mom's past husband finding her and hurting her. At least, that's what mom said to dad before we left.

"If you take the alley, you have a higher chance of getting mugged. Or worse!" Daddy screamed at mom. I shouldn't have heard this, because mom told me to go outside. I did, but I was right by the door.

"If I take the regular path, worse will happen to Jordy! At least in the alleyways, he won't see his mom --- -----!" I couldn't make out the last but it obviously changed his mind. That's why we're walking down the alley.

The alley isn't even as bad as my dad said it was. I saw Gretchen, the girl I like, with her parents. I also saw Uncle Hogarth. He wasn't really my uncle, but he sure acted like it. That's why I called him my uncle.

My mom and I were at the doors of the market when Trechren, my BEST friend in the whole world, ran up to me and jumped on top of me. The impact of him on my back was so strong, I fell over.

"Really Trech?" I scolded. He then got off my back and we stood up. His mom then came walking up the stairs to the market.

"Hey Jordy. Hello Mrs. Igradi," Trech's mom said to mine. My mom then nodded in reply. Just so you know, my mom is not shy. She just doesn't know how to pronounce Mrs.Kiterynitegy. But it's really easy for me. It is pronounced (kit-air-in-eye-te-ghee).

"I have an idea," my mom said to Mrs. Kiterynitegy. She looked at my mom, waiting for her idea.

"While you and I go shopping, Jordy and Trechren go run and play in The Yard!" My mom said. Trech and I were already in our way to The Yard. That was where we could see other people that didn't go to our school.

The Yard was a giant playground. There were about 20 slides, but each had a giant line. There were 50 swing sets and each one was filled. Over 75 benches for the parents, but no spots left.

"Jordy! Trech!" We heard a young voice scream. We turn to the direction of the voice, and it was Lizre. She was one of our friends that we don't see at school. We've always wondered why, but we've never figured out.

"Hey Lizre! Nice haircut, by the way," Trech pointed out. Her hair is shorter. She then pulled something out of her pocket. It was a black rectangle.

"What does it do?" I asked Lizre. She then clicked a couple of buttons and sound started to come out of it. It sounded like a weird song.

"Weird, right? And do you see that thing at the top corner? If it's not green, then you need to put this in it," Lizre told us. She then pulled out a small snake-like cord. She put the cord into the box and it lit up.

"You are very adventurous, Lizre. I will give you that," Trech told Lizre. She then smiled and showed us two missing teeth.

"Lizre! Your teeth! They're missing!" I shouted at her. She then closed her mouth.

"I totally forgot! I lost them. My parents said that new teeth would grow back," Lizre told us. We then kept listening to the music that came from the box until Mrs. Kiterynitegy came to get Trechren and I.

"Bye Lizre!" Trechren and I shouted at the same time.

"Bye Trechren! Bye Jordy!" Lizre yelled after us. We then walked out of The Yard and heard back to the market. That's when Trech and I separated to head back home.

"So, how was The Yard?" Mom asked me. I then got a huge grin. Not because I had fun, which I did, but because I saw Gretchen. She started to walk my way.