Chapter 19

Dedication: JesseHoe. Thank you for sticking around! I'm so excited that my story was able to touch you. That is more than I ever could have asked. (:

Chapter 19

Golden light poured into the windows as I cracked my eyes open. Today was the day; it was our last day in the skinny boy house! This was a day that I never thought I would see, and yet, as I propped myself up on my elbows and stared around Steven's room for the last time, a sadness seemed to creep into my veins.

He slept soundly next to me; his face was serenely still. It donned on me that this was the last time I would ever see my friends. I would never have sleep overs in their rooms; we would never sit up late and spend the night giggling. After today, the three of us would go our separate ways.

There was no telling if our paths would ever cross again.

I blinked back tears as I pushed myself to my feet. After a long stretch and a wide yawn, I made my way out of the bedroom and into the hall. Much to my surprise, Terry wasn't in his usual place. With a shrug, I pushed my way into the bathroom and did my business.

By the time I made my way back into the room, both Steven and Geoffrey were awake. Geoffrey sat upright in Steven's bed; his hair was a tangled mess on top of his head. Steven propped himself up on the floor with his back against the bed. They were silent when I sat on the floor.

It felt as if no one knew what to say to the other.

"Is today, like, a regular day?" Geoffrey asked, breaking the silence.

Steven shrugged. "Terry said he would see us in the morning, so I bet we're being discharged soon."

"I hope we at least get breakfast; I'm hungry." Geoffrey stood. "I guess I should make sure I have all my things together." Geoffrey climbed out of bed. "Do you want help folding all the blankets?"

With a nod, Steven stood. "That would be nice."

The three of us quickly folded the blankets and made the bed. Once the job was done, Geoffrey and I made our way to our rooms. In the doorway, I stopped. "I'm sure Terry will let us know what's going on."

Both Geoffrey and Steven nodded in agreement.

In my own room, I changed into a fresh pair of clothes, tossing my pajamas into my bag and zipping it shut. It was hard to believe all my belongings fit inside of a single bag. How in the world did I survive with just a bag of clothes for an entire year?

Out of pure boredom, I began cleaning and putting the room back in order. I made the bed, paying attention to tucking the sheets and making sure it was exactly as I remembered it when I first stepped into the room.

I wasn't sure why that was so important to me, but in that moment, it held some sort of significance. Even with the knowledge that the room would probably be completely cleaned after I left, I wanted the next boy to step into the room to find it the exact same way I did.

An idea blinked into my mind, causing me to come to a complete stop. I needed a piece of paper and a pen. I quickly found a pen on the knight stand, but paper was nowhere to be seen. Blowing out a breath, I reached for the nearest magazine and flicked through it quickly, and sure enough, one of those mail-in subscription cards fell to the floor.

Turning it over to the blank side, I touched the pen to the paper and fell silent. I wanted to leave a message for the next boy, but I had no idea what to say. I didn't want to leave something cheesy; instead, I wanted to leave him something that I wished someone told me.