Chapter 17

At 9:30 my door opened. I was almost done with the invitation labels. Next on the to-do list was putting the cards in the envelopes along with the random name cards the card company sent us.

"Why didn't you come down for dinner?" Trevor.

My head shot up. Fear pulsed through me with every heartbeat. I knew that he could smell my fear, but I couldn't help it. I was more afraid of this man than anyone else in the world.

"Are you deaf?"

I shook my head, eyes still glued to the bed and unable to speak.

He smirked. "Why so afraid?"

Conner stood behind him. "Go home Trevor."

Trevor turned around, turning all his attention to Conner.

"Excuse me?" The Alpha Wolf asked.

"Stay away from my sister. It's bad enough your son has his hands on her." Conner sounded disgusted.

Trevor had Conner pinned against the wall in an instant. Conner went limp, not fighting back to his alpha. Conner was no match for Trevor. Conner was loyal to Trevor. Conner owed his life to Trevor. But that didn't mean that he'd let Trevor take advantage of me. After all, how could I, a contained and controlled human be any match for a supernatural werewolf?

I needed to have those blockades taken off my mind. I needed to deal with my uniqueness. Most importantly, I needed to be able to protect myself from anything. I heard Grayson's sigh in the hallway. Trevor whispered Conner a threat I could only make out as a growl.

Conner turned his head to look at Grayson. With my music creating interference, I couldn't hear what Conner said to Grayson, but Grayson came into my room with a folded piece of paper. His eyes were glowing again which told me the wolf was near the surface.

I tried to smile, but I couldn't.

"I have the list you want."

I looked back at the computer screen, holding back terrified tears. He didn't say anything as he sat down with his back to me. Conner looked from Grayson to me. When his eyes met mine, he held it for only a second. He left. He wouldn't watch over me as closely as he had before. Grayson was taking care of me now.

The tears begging for release were now sad tears. I jumped off my bed and ran to my bathroom. I slammed the door and turned on the faucet to the sink and the shower. It would help keep anyone from hearing me crying.

When I came back into the room, the list was on my bed. It was longer than Brian and mine's combined. At least I had something to keep me entertained tomorrow. My laptop was closed. And a post-it was stuck to it.

Be back in a bit -G

I hadn't asked for this. I hadn't wanted this. I grabbed my bag and stuffed enough clothes to last me a week. Forget graduating with a 4.2 GPA. They would force me to go back home if I went back to school. I wanted to be normal more than anything else in the world. I put the bag over my shoulder as I turned off the lights of my room. I tip-toed to the front door.