Chapter 17

Chapter 17

                Six broken ribs, one fractured ankle, a sprained wrist, a minor concussion, and a body bruised and battered until unconsciousness. It had been a few days since Noah had been found on the edge of the street- his body slumped inside his car. A man driving an eighteen wheeler had seen the car parked on the edge of the street, passenger door wide open, highlights on, car engine still running. He had pulled over to see if everything had been alright and that was how Noah ended up being found.

                For days, Aunt Paisley and Uncle Nick were going crazy, demanding to know who had hurt him so much. But Noah wouldn’t tell, he’d simply shake his head and tell them he was tired. There were times that they came to me, asking me if I knew anything about what happened to him but I’d say no and excuse myself.

                It wasn’t until the third day- a Saturday afternoon- that I got to see Noah again for the first time since his accident. The nurses at the hospital wouldn’t let me in unless I was family or one of the doctors, and even when I told them that he was my ‘cousin’ they still wouldn’t let me in unless Aunt Paisley or Uncle Nick said it was okay.

                To say I was frustrated was an understatement. But the moment I saw him walk out of the hospital doors, using crutches while his wrist was wrapped up. I felt my heart drop. And the moment I looked up and saw the condition of his face, it fell deep into my stomach.

                He had multiple cuts, ones above his left eyebrow; a few along his right cheekbone. He was sporting a black eye along with many other bruises all over his face and even running down to his neck, disappearing under his green T-Shirt.

                I had been leaning against my car; arms crossed over my chest as I timidly watched him slowly make his way out. Aunt Paisley and my mother walked on either side of him, being careful to help him walk on his own without falling.

                His eyes connected with mine, and suddenly I felt my blood run cold. The life had been drained from his hazel eyes. Cold, dark and empty orbs stared right back at me as he slowly headed in my direction.

                My mother looked up and gave me a small smile. She wore a pair of baby blue scrubs, her badge hanging from around her neck. She looked tired, exhausted as her brown eyes met mine. I could read the hidden message in them- she was warning me that I had to be careful around him.

                Aunt Paisley sighed, pushing back strands of blonde hair away from her eyes. She too looked exhausted but who could blame her? Her son was almost beaten to death. It had been a miracle that he came out of that beaten with the injuries he had.

                “Fae,” she said, looking up at me with hopeful eyes. “You came,”

                Pushing myself off of my car, I nodded, “I said I would.”

                “You should be in school,” My mother said, knowing that the school had requested me to attend Saturday school today since I had missed two days after Noah’s accident. I had spent them sitting outside his room, hoping that they’d let me in.