Chapter 16

Chapter 16

                At three in the morning, my father shook me awake, a look of pure sadness coating his dark brown eyes. At that moment, as I sleepily gazed up at him in silence, I saw how much he had aged in the years since I had grown up. He looked exhausted, dressed in a pair of dark washed jeans along with a plain black shirt. My father never entered my bedroom, in fact, neither of my parents had stepped foot into my sanctuary in months now, so this struck as strange.

                I blinked twice before I moved to sit up in bed, strands of hair softly hitting my face as my hair moved to fall down my shoulders. I knew that it was probably a huge mess but that didn’t bother me, it was only my dad who stood in front of me.

                “Fae, honey,” my father began, as he crouching down to my height. His voice was soft and calm, yet the alert look in his eyes told me something was wrong. “Get dressed, we’ve got to go.”

                “Go where?” I asked confused. It was three in the morning, where the hell would we going at this hour? My heartbeat quickened, suddenly realizing that hours ago Noah was scheduled to make a deal with dangerous men.

                What if something went wrong?

                What if he was hurt?

                I felt my blood run cold as I looked into my father’s eyes, somehow knowing that what I was thinking was in fact true.

                “To the hospital,” he replied running a hand over his face in frustration. “Your aunt just called, Noah’s been hospitalized.”