#40 B&B

Riya.

It's the second day at Aldrick's family house and there's still no sign of Neev. I walked down for the unavoidable dinner reluctantly.

Everyone is starting to ask me about Neev now and I have no idea how to answer them.

To my great relief, Grandpa was away on the first day, but it seems I am not lucky today.

"Riya, come on, " Auntie called me and I slowly descended the stairs. I know Grandpa is home and I really want to skip the dinner, but it's the Aldrick family and nobody can do what they want.

"Nivin is not home yet." Auntie Alice said as she started to arrange the table with Kamala. "It's not even a week since your marriage, you must be feeling bad, I am sorry Riya, " she said. "he will be back soon."she said, probably trying to console me.

I nodded.

"Did he call you, Riya? his phone was off when I tried" she said again. I don't know what to say to that.

I lowered my eyes and helped her to set the table.

"He is not going to call her, " I heard his voice and froze. Grandpa still has that effect on me. "And you know it," he said, turning to me now.

I was shocked and couldn't even move or answer him.

Auntie Alice seemed shocked too. "It's a matter of time, you know Neev, he must be really busy-" she started.

"Nonsense! he is not busy, he's not here because he doesn't want to see her." Grandpa said.

I was still shocked, my heart was beating wildly against my ribs, my whole body went cold.

"What do you mean Neev doesn't want to see her? he is a changed man grandpa," It was Rohan, who was in the middle of the stairs leading to the hall.

"He was, but not anymore, " Grandpa said. "do you know who she really is?" he asked.

Silence filled the room.

All the staffs backed away from the room. Danny looked around from the settee, his favourite video game forgotten.

Grandpa turned to me. "I thought you would not show your face again in this house! you have more guts than I give you credit for." he said.

I was trembling from head to foot now. It looks like Grandpa is determined to get rid of me. He wouldn't normally get involved in such dirty works directly, but he wants me out of here.

And I can't do anything about it. I know it too.

"Grandpa, she is already a member of this house, she's Neev's wife-" Auntie Alice started softly.

"Not anymore, if Nivin doesn't want her, why should I bother?" he said.

And that, made my heart break again, tears pricked my eyes.

"Brother Neev loves her, I am sure about it," Danny said softly, it must've cost a lot for him to speak up in front of Grandpa.

"Then why is she silent? ask her why Neev is not home yet!" Grandpa said, pointing to me.

"Riya?" Rohan called. "What happened, what's wrong?" his voice was concerned.

"Nivin will never accept her," Grandpa announced.

"Please don't say like that, they are already married-"

"You don't understand!" Grandpa cut across Auntie Alice. "she is the daughter of Ragunad, she's actually not a Mehra, she is James's best friend Anil Ragunad's daughter."