Chapter Nineteen

I jolt awake only to find strong arms wrapped around me. I smile before twisting around to find Pher's face. I rest my hand on his cheek and rub my thumb over his cheekbone. This somehow calms me down. I then move my hand to his soft silky hair.

I hear a low hum of pleasure from him which in turn makes me smile. "That feels good," he mutters with sleep clear in his voice. My smile widens and I can't help but feel a surge of happiness overcome me. "So how are you feeling?" I ask quietly, twirling a strand of his hair around my finger. He opens his eyes slowly and I see that they're red. "Pretty good," he says enthusiastically, smiling. He reaches up and tucks my hair behind my ear. I shake my head and sigh. "But you look really tired." For a second, I glance around, finding that we are in a small bedroom with the wallpaper peeling. I see dust floating in rays of sunlight that pools on the floor.

I turn back to Christopher and he shrugs. "Yeah, well you don't look so hot either, girly," he mumbles, slightly grinning and shutting his eyes again.

"Well thanks!" I reply with clear sarcasm. He soon draws his brows together in the so familiar face.

"No matter how hard I try, I will never completely understand you," he mutters as his thumb rubs over my chin.

"I'm not that hard to figure out, Christopher," I mutter before laying my head back on his chest.

"You may think that, love," he says as he strokes my hair.

"Don't go all British on me, I can never understand you when you do," I say. He makes me look up at him while a smile grows on his face.

"I love you," he says suddenly.

For some reason my heart doesn't sink like it normally does. Instead, I feel heat spread to my cheeks and neck, and to my ears. For a moment, I play with the buttons on his shirt, and I can feel his dark eyes staring down at me. "I love you too, Pher," I whisper, pressing my lips together. I feel his heart rate quicken, and the heat on my cheeks seems to increase.

He grabs my chin, forcing me to look at him. His eyes pierce into mine but in a loving way. "I understand Kalub. You don't have to say it," he whispers. I shake my head and stare at him. "No. No, I want to," I reply. Do I really? What about West..? No, I don't want to think about him. Chris is in front of me and he's here. That's all that matters. "What happened..? Last night?" I ask, threading my fingers through his soft hair. "You had a breakdown. I'm surprised you don't remember. You were talking about West and Mick. I mean once you calmed down you said you were tired so I carried you in here. I stayed up a while after you fell asleep."

"I'm sorry," I whisper, looking down at my lap.

"Kalub, there is nothing to be ashamed of. You are a young girl that's been strong for way too long. You expect too much from yourself, while I expect nothing. I only want even the slightest bit of your attention," he says before kissing my chin and my nose.

"Chris-Christopher," I stutter before looking him in the eyes. He raises his brows and a look of concern crosses over him. I slightly smile and shake my head. "I love you. I do. I'm not a strong person, at least alone I'm not. Right now you're my strength." I purse my lips and brush his bangs out of his face. "You should get some more sleep.. It's still early." I can tell he's reluctant to sleep but he nods anyways and presses his lips to my cheek a moment before he inhales deeply and closes his eyes. "Will you stay here?" he asks. I nod and lay my head on his chest, listening to the thrum of his heart. "Yeah.. I don't want to get up anyways."

"When we found you I was on the edge of giving up on everything, then with your stubborn country girl attitude you made me realize family isn't just blood," he mutters.

"I know, family is who you trust. The ones that claw their ways into your lives like they own the place," I mutter, which makes him chuckle slightly before he finally falls asleep.
••
"Chris," I say. Christopher groggily pries open his eyes, and I smile. "Come on. Time to get up. We have a lot to do today," I demand. He nods and rolls over, back facing me. I glare at him and pinch his shoulder. "Hey!" he shouts in a shrill voice and rolls back over before sitting up. "That wasn't very nice," he grumbles, yawning and stretching. His joints pop and I purse my lips. "Where's Anne?" he asks. I gesture towards the kitchen, and he nods. "Gotcha."

He pulls me back down to him and starts to kiss all over my face. I can't help but to giggle at him. "Stop! I'm trying to be serious!" I gasp out.

"Stop acting as if you're always on your period!" he replies. I hit him with a shocked expression. "How dare you say that Pher!" For a moment, he looks genuinely sorry, and I shake my head.

"No, it's okay, Jesus, I'm not offended." He sighs and slightly grins. "Whatever. You know we have to get going soon, right?" he mumbles. I nod and roll my eyes. "Yeah. I know." I don't exactly want to go. I didn't want to see West. I wasn't ready to see anyone for that matter.

"What's the matter?" he asks as he tucks my hair behind my ear. "I don't want to see him," I whisper to him.

"I don't want to see him either. I kinda stole his girlfriend," he says with a smirk. He pulls my face to his and kisses my nose. "One of the better choices in my life might I add." I feel heat rising to my cheeks and I nod with a small grin. "Yeah.. Whatever, you nerd."

"I'm trying to woo you and you call me a nerd."

"Woo? Where are we? The sixteenth century?" I ask him with a frown. He squeezes my cheeks together and sticks his tongue out. I stick my tongue out as well and try to lick his fingers. He instantly moves his hands from my face.

"You are so weird!" he laughs before kissing my forehead. I smile at him and kiss him in return.  He nips playfully at my lower lip and I mockingly glare at him.

"What was that for?" I ask him. He just smiles at me playfully before kissing me again. I raise a hand and run my fingertips along my lips. They're slightly bruised and swollen, but I don't mind.

"I've been wanting to kiss you like that for a long time," he pants. I can clearly see the adoration in his eyes which make my stomach warm. I caress the side of his face and run my thumb along his cheek bone. I don't know what to say, so I press my lips against his again. They are soft and warm and sent a jolt of nervousness through my body.

"Guys, oh," Anne says as we pull away from each other. I feel the terrible burn of a blush return. Chris tightens his hold around me and I glare at him. "Let me up!" I mouth at him. He loosens his embrace and allows me to get to my feet while wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. "Sorry," I grumble.

"We need to go soon, um, you can finish up now," she says clearly embarrassed about walking in on us. She scurries out of the kitchen and leaves us alone. I put my hands over my face and groan. "Ugh! Why did we do that?"

"Because you like it?" he suggests while reaching for me. I slap his hands away so I can pull my hair up.

"Get ready," I mutter. He rolls his eyes and folds his arms over his chest as he stalks out of the room.

I head out to the Hummer, where Anne is waiting in the back seat, arms folded across her chest. I hop into the driver's side of the vehicle and wait for Christopher. "Anything wrong?" Anne asks me. I shake my head and glance back at her, still feeling Christopher's lips on mine. "No, I'm fine," I say quickly, just as Chris hops into the passenger's side of the car. I turn over the engine and shut my door, not daring to make eye contact with him. We were off.