Chapter Eighteen

¤ We aren't dead!
  It's all your fault Bucky!

My breathing comes fast and heavy. I can't catch my breath as my body numbs. I hear doors open and Anne talking but it's all fuzzy. Tears threaten to spill, and they finally do. "Christopher help, please," I hear Anne beg. "She's having a panic attack."

Anne tries to calm me down, and it helps some, but the numbness is still in my body. Once the attack is over, I look at Christopher who is laying in the middle of the road. "What is he doing?" I ask quietly.

"Being a guy?" she offers. "Guys are stupid," I mutter. She just shakes her and walks over to him. She squats and they have a discussion. Christopher stares up at the sky the entire time, motionless, expression changing only slightly. I wonder what they're talking about. I sigh and fold my legs against my chest. I still don't believe that West is alive. But why would Anne mention him if he wasn't?

Maybe she's testing me. West could not be alive. He's gone and he is never coming back. West is no more. Christopher suddenly sits up, and when Anne goes to help him up, he shakes her off. "I already knew that!" Christopher shouts at her. I turn my head to the side as I watch him.

He looks at me and then quickly looks away. Pain pangs through me. He gets up and ruffles his hands through his hair for the millionth time. He walks towards the Hummer and sits down directly in front of it. Anne looks defeated and somewhat irritated.

I get up and walk over to Chris, who doesn't look at me. "Pher?" I ask hesitantly, but he doesn't say anything. I feel more pain in my chest. "Told you," I whisper and get back in the Hummer. He gets up once again, and I can feel tears stinging my eyes. He runs. He runs so fast and hard, further up the street. Anne doesn't try to stop him.

I drink some water because I've cried so much. I nibble on some crackers as I wait. In about an hour Christopher comes back a little bit more calmed. He's out of breath and sweat covers his body. He suddenly swings open the door of the Hummer and envelopes me in a tight hug. "I'm sorry, Kalub. I said I would always be there for you, and I intend to keep that promise. I don't care if West is alive. I'm not going to let go the one best thing that has happened to me," he says breathlessly. He's sweaty, and his clothes are soaked.

The smell that radiates off him makes me gag. "Holy hell when's the last time you showered?" I say covering my nose and mouth. He pulls away from me, pouting. "Sorry, but it's not like we're anywhere near a shower. My pits are worse, you know," he grumbles.

"I'm sorry we need to find a house or something so you can. God you reek. You so are not getting in my car," I say though my hands. He purses his lips and raises his arms with a smile. "The only good thing about this is that when I do take a shower, it'll feel really good."

"Just put that down. You could kill a crazy with that," I say, pulling his arms down. He chuckles and wraps his arms around me again. "Oh, but you can survive this. You're perfectly fine, right, Kalub?"

I start making fake gagging noises. "Can't breathe. To much stench!" I gasp, before laughter bubbles from my chest. He chuckles as welk. "On a serious note, I think she's lying about West. He would've found a way to talk to me if he were alive," I say. He nods and his smile slowly falters. "Yeah.. But what if he is, Kalub? I'm going to lose you."

"He's not and you d-don't know that," I say with a slight stutter. "He's dead," I say to myself more than to him. He tucks my hair behind both ears. "I do know that. You're going to choose him over me. He's your first love."

"Would you choose your first love over me?" I ask him and bite the inside of my mouth. "No," he says instantly with a hard expression. I know he means it.