Seto Kaiba #6.5

*Seto Kaiba's POV*

After I showed Mercy her room, I went across the hall to my at home office, and called a doctor.  After several moments of speaking over the phone, he finally agreed to coming over for a house-call immediately.

He said he'd be here within the hour, so I decided that I'd have the cook make something for her to eat, then explain to Mokuba why -exactly- Mercy was here.

"Mokuba," I called, knocking on his bedroom door, listening as the wood echoed lightly under my knuckles.

"Come in, Seto." I stepped into his room, he was lying on his bed, hands tucked behind his head, the universal sign of relaxation.  His room was spotless, not normal for a middle-school kid but then most kids Mokuba's age don't have well paid maids to clean up after then... "Whatcha need big brother?" He sat up, throwing his feet over the side of his bed.

"I want to explain why Mercy is here."

"Go ahead then."

"I’m trying to adopt her, for the moment she’s only here for the night, but I’m trying to change that. She was...abused by her father. I just want you to be extremely nice to her, and be careful with what you say around her. I've got someone coming to take a look at her, be on the lookout for Dr. Treymont, when he gets here, show him to the bedroom right next to mine.” Mokuba nodded his head solemnly, and I went to go do some paperwork concerning Kaiba Corp.

After thirty minutes, there was a knock on my office door, and my younger brother walked in, his eyes wide and alert.

"Treymont's here, Seto. Mercy was sleeping but he's checking her out anyways. She looks awful, how can a dad do that to his daughter? She looks like one giant bruise..." he looked ready to burst out crying, which is the way I felt.

Nobody deserves that, especially a tiny girl with nobody to protect her.

We sat in my office the next hour in silence, waiting for the doctor to finish and come tell us what we should do. There was suddenly a tapping at the door, which Mokuba ran to, throwing it open. The old man, in a white coat, stethoscope around his neck, stepped inside while staring around hesitantly.

"How is she, is she okay?" Mokuba asked, looking up at Treymont expectantly, the hope for a good report shining in his brightly colored eyes.

"Honestly, I don't know how she was able to talk, much less walk," Treymont explained, wringing his hands nervously.

"She has a fractured leg, which needs a cast, it's possible she has internal bleeding which she'll have to go to my office to find out. Two fractured, possibly broken ribs and a sprained wrist. Not to mention the amount of bruises she has. I want you to bring her to my office immediately, so I can wrap her and check for any other injuries, I'll meet you there," and with that, he sent a nod in my direction and walked away without waiting for the reply to find if I'd be following him and meeting up or not.

She ran to Mr. Moto's card shop, and ran away from there, on a fractured bone in her leg... She must be one of the strongest girls I've ever had the fortune to know.

What the hell is wrong with that girl, is she mental?

Did she not realize how bad she was injured?

Why am I even concerning myself about it, I've never bothered before, I shouldn't be now. Dammit!

After waking Mercy up, her and I drove to Dr. Treymont's in complete silence.

The whole way, Mercy just stared out the window, face blank, eyes emotionless but her fists were clenched.

I had carried her out to the limo, but once we were at the office she refused all help, walking to the double doors on her own, with not even a limp. We spent several hours there, but once he was done checking her over the conclusion was worth the wait.

No internal bleeding, fractured but not completely broken ribs, fractured bone in leg and multiple contusions. He put a cast on her left leg, wrapped her abdomen in a bandage since he couldn't very well put a cast on it, and gave her some pain pills. He ordered that she stay in bed for at least a week, and could go back to school in two weeks.

All in all, it turned out okay, Mokuba was extremely happy that she would be all right, and the whole way back he talked to her non-stop and I was amazed at her patience as she'd not once snapped at him for annoying her.

I knew that I’d need to go talk to her father again the moment I dropped her off at my house.

*  *  *

Mr. Fortuna wasn’t quite willing to release his daughter, however when I offered him a quarter of a million dollars for simply one month with her, he finally agreed as long as I bought him someone to cook and clean as well.

There was no way I’d send a girl into his house, instead I found the biggest, toughest looking man in the city, and he agreed to clean Fortuna’s house for a month for ten grand.

Mr. Fortuna wouldn’t have anyone to beat up, and chance are if he even tried, he’d be a dead man at that end of the day. As long as Mercy was safe, if only for a month or so, I was semi-happy.