Seto Kaiba #3.5

*Seto Kaiba's POV*

After that stunt that Tiffany pulled, I was in an awful mood. Every little thing ticked me off, making me want to hit something or someone. Then to top it off, Mercy's own damn brother completely ignored her, only worrying about his little toy.

All through Biology, any time she so much as twitched a finger, she winced in pain. Although she tried to hide it, and she did a good job, only someone who was specifically looking for it could see, I could see it.

Once the bell rang for the end of first period, I walked to my second class. It seemed to drag on... and on and on. I wasn't used to feeling this impatient, and I didn't even know what the hell I was anxious about! When third periodfinally came along, I figured it out. Mercy. This girl had my mind messed up. I couldn't concentrate through the whole class, nor fourth either, since it seemed she was in there too.

When lunch came around, I decided I would sit in the cafeteria. Mercy sat with Wheeler's gang, they joked around while she sat quietly. There was no food in front of her, and she desperately needed to eat. Before I even realized what the hell I was doing, I was getting a tray and piling food on top of it.

"Here, kid.” I deposited the tray in front of her. Everyone around her stopped talking in order to stare up at me.

"Thank you,” she whispered, looking into my eyes with a guarded expression, as though she expected me to take the food back away from her. I didn't acknowledge her words, just walked out of the cafeteria with my trench coat billowing behind me.

I went to stand in front of the school, as I did yesterday. I saw her 'fathers' beat-up rusty old  truck pull up into the parking lot, and as he got out, I noticed him  staggering across the grass and up to the double glass door's that led into the school.

It took me all of a half second to realize he was drunk. Ten minutes later, he came out dragging Mercy with him. She caught my gaze, and I could see in her eyes that she was begging for me never to say anything about this. But at the same time, she was asking for my help. Before I could even make up my mind in what to do, or how to help, his truck was driving away from the school.

Damn, why the hell didn't you do anything, I asked myself. I picked up my phone, calling the detective and getting her home address. I decided to pay Trevor Fortuna a little visit.