What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

She sat in the dark corner of the basement. Her bright red hair falling in her face. Her head was tucked into her knees, which were pulled up into her chest so she had become as small as possible. Her jeans were soaked in her tears. This wasn’t fair; she did not deserve this again.

Her parents had locked her in the basement for the weekend. When she struggled her dad had punched her in the face. She didn’t even know what she had done to deserve this. Instead of her dad leading her down to the basement, like he usually does, he pushed her down the stairs. There was a cut alongside her head from where she had hit it on the stairs.

She was banished to the basement because she had dropped one of her parents’ china they had gotten for their wedding. Valery tended to be really clumsy; the plate was wet with hot water and slippery with suds. While she was drying it her older brother had come up behind her and started shaking her shoulders to scare her. That’s when she dropped the plate. When she told her parents what her brother had done, and that was the reason she dropped the plate, her dad slapped her across the face.

Once he slapped her all she could taste was blood, her ears were ringing, and the edges were all going blurry. But she refused to let unconsciousness take its hold. When that happened her dad would definitely have thrown her down the stairs.

Her parents refused to feed her when she was down here. After the third time Valery had hidden some snacks and water bottles down here. She wasn’t hungry at all, she couldn’t even think about eating, or drinking.

After about half an hour the thumping pain in her head went down. After 5 minutes she fell into a deep sleep

---------------------------------

Valery’s POV

I woke up on Monday morning to my dad unlocking the door.

‘VALERY!! Get up here now! You need to have breakfast and get ready for school. We don’t want you to be late now, do we?’

‘No daddy.’

I got up from my very cramped position on the floor. I had eaten three packets of chips, 2 apples and drunken 4 bottles of water. I had to go out and buy some replacements for if I get put back down here, which no doubt I will.

When I got up to my room I grabbed some clothes and had a quick shower. I put on my black and white skinnies with my combat boots. I put on a neon green singlet then I put a black chain top over it. I looked at the mirror and there was a massive bruise around my eye. Great, just great. I brushed my teeth then combed my hair. I quickly straightened it to get all the kinks out. My hair was naturally straight but it sometimes did get occasional kinks in it. I usually pin back my bangs so they were really long. When I looked at myself in the mirror my bangs didn’t cover up my cut.

I grabbed my scissors from the cabinet and cut my fringe to turn it into a side fringe. When I combed it out it looked pretty cool. It even covered the cut on my head from falling down the stairs. My god my head hurt so much at the moment. I was going to need some aspirin for that before I left for school. I might also need to take some with me so I don’t get a headache during the day.

My fringe covered the cut, but it didn’t do anything for the black eye or the slight bruise on my cheek. I grabbed my make-up bag and started putting on foundation then concealer. I never wore much of this stuff, but I bought it ages ago for a party. I’m glad I bought it now. I do not want to face my friends with bruises on my face. After that I applied mascara and put my lip gloss on then in my pocket. I placed in black rings for my snake bites because the studs were starting to annoy me. I walked into my room and grabbed 5 dollars from my dresser then put it in my messenger bag. I threw my purse, iPod and phone into my bag. I grabbed my pen and put it in there as well.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed an apple off the counter. I walked out the door and made my way to the bus. I normally don’t catch the bus to school, but I would have been late if I walked.

When I got to school my bestest friend in the whole wide world was sitting on the stairs waiting for me. We always met on the stairs. Every morning, every day. We loved each other like family. When he saw me get off the bus he smiled and waved. I pulled myself together quickly and gave him a Cheshire cat smile and stood on my tippy toes and started waving with my hand high up in the air. We both had the same weird personality but mine showed a lot more than his did. He didn’t act weird out in public but I did. When it was just the 2 of us he nearly acted weirder then me.

‘What goes on Vals?’

‘Pineapples falling from the sky.’

We both faked ducking then started laughing. I hugged him and lent my head on his shoulder like I usually did. I must have stayed to long because he asked me if I was alright. He may be my best friend but I have never told him that my dad hits me.

We walked to our lockers and grabbed our book for English class. I grabbed my leather jacket out of my locker and put it on. I hadn’t noticed it, but my arms were covered in bruises and I didn’t want Jake to see them. Once I grabbed my things we walked to Jakes locker and he grabbed his things. We walked together into our English class but before I walked in some stupid guy grabbed my hair and pulled it.

‘Ow! What the hell!?’

I turned around to see a group of guys laughing.

‘See boys, I told you. Emo’s have no souls.’

The boys just kept laughing and I just rolled my eyes and turned to walk into class. An arm came up in front of my blocking my entrance to the classroom. It was Jakes arm.

‘Um Val? What the hell?’

‘What?’

He reached up to my face and pulled back my fringe. Crap, he would have seen the cut when the boys pulled my hair back. I looked down, feeling ashamed of something I didn’t even do. I felt embarrassed, and I also felt bad for keeping secrets from my friend.

‘Care to explain how that happened?’ he said gesturing to my head.

‘Yer sure. I fell down the stairs.’ He gave me a look that said he thought I was being an idiot. ‘No serious. I fell down the stairs towards the basement.’

He shook his head and walked inside the classroom. I walked in after him and we sat in our usual seats in the back of the classroom.

It was an awkward silence between me and Jake. Partly because I could tell he knew I was lying to him about falling down the stairs. It was actually partly the truth. I did fall down the stairs, after my father pushed me.

After the teacher walked in and started talking about things, I was day dreaming so I wasn’t really paying attention. I was wondering what I was going to do after the end of the day. I didn’t really want to go home but I can’t really stay anywhere else.

I came back to reality when a note was placed on my desk. I opened it to see what it was and who it was from.

Val you are going to tell me how you actually got that cut on your head. I’m not going to stop until you tell me.

-       Jake

Great. Of course he wasn’t going to let this go.

A/N

heyy guys so tell me what you think. I hope you guys like the story, and i love you for reading it hehe. *seedy smile)

There’s a picture of Valery on the side

Please comment it makes me feel really good when i get comments or votes on my stories thanks

-me- xox