A Chance to Leave - Part 8

The two boys darted in between the standing adults and around the squatting kids and stopped just in front of the pot of gruel which Lady Sterfil was managing.

          As Allen bent over to catch his breath, Onor held up two fingers for Lady Sterfil to see.

          "Two bowls, please," he gasped, placing his hands on his knees and leaning over.

          Lady Sterfil smiled as she reached for a bowl.

          "Who won this time?" she asked, holding out both bowls. She knew the routine well, and had ladled more into one bowl than the other. For everyone else, she put the same amount into each bowl.

          "Onor did, ma'am," said Allen, taking a few more deep breaths.

          "So I get dibs on our bowls," said Onor, glancing at both, then taking the one that had more in it. Then with the other hand he poked Allen. "Come on, you're not that tired, are you?"

          Allen straightened up and punched Onor's shoulder lightly.

          "No, you should know that by now," Allen replied. Then taking the bowl from Lady Sterfil's hand he smiled gratefully. "Thank you, ma'am, we're ever obliged."

          "You're both welcome, boys," returned Lady Sterfil, smiling.

          Turning on their heels, the two boys walked over to the children's circle, sat down, and dug into their gruel with energy. Onor soon finished his and taking his scoop (it wasn't really what you'd call a spoon,) dug into Allen's bowl.

          "Wow...you finished your's already..." said Allen, as he watched Onor finished the gruel in his bowl. "That was...fast."

          Onor wiped his mouth on the cloth napkin he'd grabbed earlier while waiting for Allen to catch his breath. Then he sat back and sighed contentedly. Allen stared at his scraped-clean bowl.

          "You sure are hungry today," he remarked, looking from his bowl up at his friend.

          "Aren't we always?" asked Onor.

          "True, true," admitted Allen. "But you usually don't eat all of my meal. Or most of it, for that matter."

          "That's 'cause I don't usually beat you," returned Onor.

          "Umm, yes, you do," said Allen. "You win more than half of them."

          "That's due to you letting me some of the time."

          "You think I'd damage your honor?"

          "I think you'd try to protect it."

          Allen shrugged.

          "You win for now," he acceded.

          "Hey, Al," came Eaflid's voice above them. "Have you decided?"

          Allen and Onor looked up.

          "Uh. . .yeah, I have," replied Allen, shifting uncomfortably.

          "And. . .?"

          "I'm going."

          "Would you like to tell 'em, or would you rather I did?" said Eaflid.

          "I'll do it," said Allen, taking a deep breath.

          "Alright," said Eaflid, nodding. Then turning around, Eaflid addressed the children. "Attention, please. Allen has decided."