A Chance to Leave - Part 7

Allen took a sudden, sharp breath of air. "All of them," he whispered. "They're all attacking us?"

          Onor nodded. "I heard that our leaders are gathering in the capital to discuss it in a week. Father said in all probability, it'll be a clever move if the leaders are assassinated right under our noses in our most fortified city. King Hubert is bound to be there, as well as our leaders, and that makes it more likely for assassination to take place."

          "That wouldn't be a smart move," said Allen. "They'd have Humerans' sworn vengeance, and all of Humera's allies down upon them."

          "I said clever, Al, not smart," replied Onor. "Clever and smart are not the same thing. If it left us without a leader, it would be a clever and rewarding. Besides, it's not like everyone plays fairly."

          "Since you think an assassination is going to happen, who is most likely to do it: the Torrathans, Aricilicans, or Myrrithnians?"

          "The Torrathans are the loud, obnoxious sort. They have a few bright minds, but they most likely wouldn't be able to pull this off. Myrrithnians are hard for peace, so this would likely turn against them. Now the Aricilicans are the ones most likely to plan and carry this out. They have some very clever minds among them, and my guess would be on them."

           "What if a war does happen soon? What will we do?"

          "Well, since most of the parents are likely to join King Hubert's army, Sir Lansear would be in charge of the Burrows. The captains of each point, Nils Jottesen, Seklin Fursbon, Eaflid Anders, and Wissleyn Gounan. Some kids don't give Wiss the credit for the game last week. But her name is tucked neatly under the smart strategy and wry moves."

          "What next?"

          "Scout patrol would be the Tuocses, and maybe Edelle and Drese. Captains of the messenger band are Acksley Hewfrem and Trense Venswar." Onor proceeded to outline a not very detailed plan of what their defense would be.

          The sun had just breasted the edge of the horizon, and Onor hadn't finished his layout of the defense plan.

          "You need to finish," remarked Allen, interrupting his friend's description of the South Point's defense. "Some of the mothers are already starting to make breakfast."

          "That'll be hard, as it's a complex thing," replied Onor. "I can't just spill everything at once in less than no time."

          "You might tell me another time then, Onor. There's Father calling me for our morning discussion and a game of wits. See yourself to the ground?"

          "Will do. If I don't drop by I'll see you at breakfast," replied Onor, as the two boys rose to their feet.

          Onor took hold of the edge of the roof and swinging himself over the edge, dropped to the ground. Allen turned, walked over to the window, stepped in, and went to join his parents.

------

          "Well, son, what have you decided?" asked Sir Disson, as his son sprawled on the floor. "Are you going to accept?"

          Allen took a deep breath.

          "Yes, sir. I will," replied Allen.

          "Very well," said Sir Disson. "Your mother will work on your clothes then. You'll leave come evening, and not a minute more. Have you told anyone yet?"

          "Only Onor."

          "You'll tell the other kids at breakfast?"

          "Yes."