A Chance to Leave - Part 5

There were gasps of astonishment from everyone except Onor and Eylie.

"Gosh, Al, did they they get you mixed up with a real smart kid?" laughed one boy.

"Guess they must have since they thought I was older than I really am!" returned Allen.

"How old did they think you would be?" asked Benjon Mafferty.

"At least twelve years old," replied Allen. "And so, they thought I had a brother. By the way, which one of you told them I had a brother?"

"Gosh, Al, you know none of us would go so far as to tell a falsehood," said Eaflid.

"I know someone who might," Allen muttered, turning his head to stared at Alron Joak.

Alron's face flushed.

"I know you think I did it, Al, but I wouldn't do something like that. Sure I like to joke about you being an only child, but that's just between us in the Burrows!" Alron protested.

Allen gave him a scrutinizing look.

"I believe you, Alron," he said after a minute. "But don't let me ever catch you loosing your mouth about me. Ever."

Alron nodded his head quickly.

"You're clear as the waters of the Whistling Brook. I promise, Al. I'll swear to it if you want me to," Alron added quickly.

Allen held up a hand.

"It's fine. The promise is enough. Everyone's heard it as well."

Alron nodded nervously and resumed his seat.

"Well, Al? Did you accept the invitation or not?" asked Eaflid.

"I didn't decide," Allen replied slowly, hanging his head.

"Why not, Al?" asked Eaflid, as gasps of surprise came from the fireside circle.

"Because. . .because. . ." Allen couldn't seem to find the words. "Because I want your approval. I want to make sure you guys think it's alright."

There was a moment of silence, then Eaflid spoke.

"Why, Al?"

Those two words felt like an accusatory finger pointing out all of Allen's faults. Those two words felt like those a former friend would ask of a traitor.

"Because. . .it feels unfair to me. Like I have something that you don't. It feels like an unfair advantage. Like I'm special and you're not. It's just not right."

"I see," mused Eaflid, and then relapsed into silence.

As the silence went on, Allen grew fidgety and began to kick the dirt.

"You can stop that now, Al," said Eaflid, as he cleared his throat.

Allen stopped kicking the dirt immediately and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"So you want our approval. Is that it?" asked Eaflid.

"That's it," replied Allen, nodding, but not lifting his head.

"Well, Al, I'll give you my opinion on the matter, and then leave it for discussion," said Eaflid. "I think it's a great opportunity for you, and it shouldn't be wasted."

Murmurs of approval ran through the group of children.

"A lot of people out there despise us because we're poor, we don't have much money, and our clothes don't quite fit us. So I think you ought to go out there, Al. Go out there and show them how wrong they are.

"We might not have had a formal education, but we're probably just as smart as they are. If they don't respect you, you've either got to create it, or take it. You've got to make them see that you're their equal, and not the dirt beneath their feet.

"Because they sure think we are. That is my opinion, and for you all, I tell you to speak now, or forever hold your peace. Does anyone have any objections to Allen accepting the invitation to the Percepitum School?"

There was silence, and the fire crackled and began to die out.

"No objections, then? asked Eaflid. "Very well. Al, you officially have our approval to accept. And now it's time for sleep. Goodnight." And so saying, Eaflid and his siblings exited the group and set off to their home.

A little off to the side of the gathered children, with his face partly hidden in the shadows, Ronald Euthers scowled.

"So what have you decided, Al?" asked Eylie, as the three of them walked back toward Allen's house.

"I don't know. I feel bad about just leaving this place," said Allen, glancing around. "This is my home, and you don't just leave your home without regrets of some sort. I can't just leave you here, Onor, you're my best friend."

"And you're mine, Al," Onor said sincerely. "But I think this is a good opportunity for you. Besides, aren't you dying to get away from this heat and into greener pastures?" Onor gave Allen a nudge.

Allen grinned back at him.

"You take the bad with the good, and you take nothing else. Anyway, after you've been here a while, you get used to it. You know that as well as I do, Onor. Besides, I'm sure you can find a lot more interesting things when you're bored, hot, and perspiring."

"But, Al, don't you think you're a little too young to be thinking about this?" asked Eylie, peering curiously up at him.

"Too young?" said Allen.

"Well you're only nine years old," replied Eylie.

"You're eight."

Eylie giggled.

"He's right, Eylie. Just because you're young, doesn't mean you can't think about something or have an intelligent conversation," said Onor. "You're never too young for that."

"What about babies?" asked Eylie. "I'm pretty sure they don't count."

"Goodnight, Onor. Goodnight, Eylie," broke in Allen, as they approached the Disson lane. "See you tomorrow."

He turned, and began his walk up the lane.

"Hold on, Al!" cried Onor. "Aren't we staying with you?"

Allen turned around.

"No, my mother doesn't want Eylie to be lonely, and she arranged for you to stay at the Liries. You can come over at first ray in the morning, though."

Onor nodded.

"Alright, then, are your parents home?"

"I'll check."

And Allen sprinted down the lane, onto the porch, and opened the door.

"Mother? Father? Are you here?" called Allen.

"We're here, son, and readying for bed," replied Sir Disson. "Where are Onor and Eylie?"

"In the lane, sir," replied Allen.

"Alright. Tell them I'll be out to walk them to the Liries."

"Yes, sir."

Allen pulled his head out of the door and turned around to face Onor.

"Father said he'll be out to walk you to the Liries," announced Allen.

"We'll wait," said Onor.

"Looks like you won't have to," remarked Sir Disson, as he appeared from the side of the house. "Al, go in and get ready for bed now."

"Yes, sir," replied Allen, turning to open the door. "Night, Onor, night Eylie."

It didn't take Allen long to get ready for bed, and as soon as he did, he tumbled right into bed and within a minute was fast asleep.