A Chance to Leave - Part 6

It was still dark when Allen woke up, but as he knew he wouldn't be able to fall asleep again, he decided to get up. Pushing off the covers sleepily, Allen rolled off the edge of the bed onto the hard wooden floor with a thud.

           When rolling off a bed, you should always remember to land on your hands with your stomach to the floor. This was what every boy (and even girls sometimes) in the Burrows was taught as soon as they were old enough to understand and follow directions.

          This was what every boy who had a floor bunk did as soon as they were ready to get up in the morning. And this was what Allen did that morning. Then again, he always did it, so that was a bit of an overstatement.

          Some of the parents didn't like it when their children did this, (one father said that he had been woken up in the middle of his sleep,) but they didn't argue anymore once they heard the children's reasons.

          First, because it was a sort of a wake-up system for the parents. (In response to the father who had said it woke him up, they countered with the reason that the parents should be awake when their child is.)

          Second, because if the child was sleepy, they'd be woken up immediately after hitting the hard floor (unless they were really immune to pain). And third, if you were sleeping next to someone, you wouldn't pull the blanket off of them as you would do if you sat up.

          Blankets in the Burrows were usually short and thin, so when sharing a blanket, the users must be close to each other in order to stay warm. So pulling the blanket off of someone could earn you a kick to the shins.

          And because no one (even the oldest kids) wanted to be kicked, they took great care not to pull the blanket off their brother or sister. Doing that on purpose could earn you a lot more than a rightfully-deserved kick to the shins. It was a thing of unknown consequences.

          Unknown consequences were not good to be deserved. It meant that your punishment could be anything.

          Allen scrambled up from the floor, washed his face, and changed his clothing. After he'd fixed his bed, Allen stepped through the window onto the porch roof and sat down.

          Now to think about his decision.

          Allen didn't want to leave the Burrows. Everyone got along well, except for a hitch or two now and then. Not so in the real world. Or so Allen had come to think while listening to his father's stories.

           Out there, things were harsh. People fought over, and sometimes even killed over tiny little things that didn't matter a decimeter. Out there, kids were nasty little beasts, who had no manners or respect for their parents or anyone else.

          Out there friendships were betrayed, and all matters of mean stuff. People thought that there was no such thing as good and evil. That there was only games and more games.

          So Allen wanted to stay where he knew there were good and honest people. People who didn't stab you in the back when you turned around for a second. Because just like all the other kids of the Burrows, Allen was all for honesty, loyalty and good deeds.

          Another reason he didn't want to leave, was because he felt like it wasn't fair that he should be the only one to receive the chance.

          Why did people always have to single one person out? Why not at least two? Why did people always seem to offer opportunities to people who didn't need them? They were either giving it to someone who didn't need it, earn it, care for it, or want it.

           Allen felt like he'd be betraying the other children by going. It was like saying he didn't care about what he'd done with them or how much fun they'd had together, he didn't care about the Burrows at all. Wasn't it?

          Allen sighed.

          He should say no, right?

          You know what, he told himself. Enough of this nonsense. It's a no.

          "Hey, Al!" called jovial voice from down below. "Top of the morning to you!"

          Allen glanced down to see Onor coming down the lane.

          "Top o' the morning to you," replied Allen.

          Onor stopped walking just a little before he came to the porch and glanced up at Allen.

          "Can I come up there and join you?" asked Onor.

          "Sure. Come up a post, though, my mother and father might be still sleeping."

          Onor nodded his assent, and walking over to the porch, began to climb a post. Grabbing onto the edge of the roof, he pulled himself up.

          "Alright, you've changed my mind," said Allen.

          "I don't change your mind that easily," said Onor, scooting to the edge of the roof and dangling his legs over.

          "No, you don't," admitted Allen. "I just don't know what to think."

           "Then don't."

          Allen's head shot up from its ground-staring position. "Don't think?"

          "Well," said Onor. "If you don't know what to think, then don't. Best not to force a thing. It isn't good for your health, you know. Think of something else, instead."

           "I might go. Do you really want me to?"

           "Of course I do. Anyway, did you see Alice's bow? Her brother's still making it, but I heard he'll be done with it soon. It's a small one just big enough to fit your hand. It seems a handy thing to carry around, and we might make good use of them if there's ever a war.

           "The Drafirl boys have improved in archery, and they've only been here two months. Telsun is pretty good with the spear now. The Tuocs' are probably the best scouts around. The oldest girl is tip-top."

          "You think there'll be a war soon?" asked Allen.

          "My father said it's bound to come, one way or 'nother. So in case we're needed, which most likely, we will, we ought to train every day. Then we'll be ready when the time comes."

          "Who're we going to be fighting?"

         "Myrrithinia, Aricilica, and Torratha. At least, so Father believes. He's not often wrong, but I hope he is this time."

          "The other sea-surrounded kingdoms?" cried Allen. "But won't that be a little hard? There's nowhere else to land, except on the very kingdom!"

          "Have you heard the word though, Al? Our East Border has already been attacked."

          "By who?" said Allen. "Myrrithnia, Aricilica, or Torratha?"

          "That's the bad part, Al," said Onor. "We don't know for sure, but word is, it's all of them."