Chapter 20: The Beginning of The End

I looked over at Travis, his face was really pale. I had no idea what was going on. When he hung up the phone he wouldn't look at me. He had a haunting look in his eyes.

"Travis, what's happened?"

He just shook his head and started up the truck. I took the keys out of the ignition so he would answer me.

"Travis, tell me what is wrong."

No reply.

"Travis talk to me god dammit! I am your wife!"

He just sat there. What the hell is wrong with him. I took his head in my hands and turned him so he had to look at me. My heart broke when his eyes filled with tears. I have never seen him cr before; and honestly I didn't ever want to see it again.

"It's Dean..." He whispered. 

What could be wrong with Dean? We just saw him last week he was perfectly healthy. Then I remembered that he took a two day leave from the military to come to the wedding. He flew back right after the reception.

"Is.. he okay?"

Travis just shook his head, "He was killed in action yesterday. The funeral is on Sunday."

"Oh Travis." I started crying and brought him into my arms.

He just kept crying.

"It's going to be okay. We're going to get through this." 

He didn't answer. I made no attempt to dry my tears because I knew they were just going to keep coming. 

"Let me drive." 

He got out and walked around to the passenger side. 

An hour later we arrived home. We went inside without a word.

I set my luggage down.

"Travis I'm going to go take a shower."

He just nodded in response. 

I was a little hurt, he usually is pretty excited when it's time for a shower. I figure he's just in shock and to be honest I am too. 

When I get out of the shower he's already asleep. He's all the way on the opposite side of the bed. I sigh and get dressed. When I slide into bed I expected him to come over and lay with me but he stayed there his face away from mine. That night I cried for my brother-in-law and I cried for my husband. Sleep found me very fast.

....

The next morning I woke to an empty bed. I sretched and walked to the kitchen. I didn't see Travis. I made my coffee and then started searching around the house. I heard grunting coming from outside. I didn't see him in the yard, so I went looking for him in our unused barn. I found him punching and kicking everything in the barn. His knuckles were drippping with blood.

"Travis..."

"Go away."

"You're going to hurt yourself."

He looked up at me with cold eyes, "I'm fine."

"Please jut come inside and let me help you."

"If I come inside will you stop bugging me?" I have to admit his words stung quite a bit.

I just nodded my head. He hadn't spoken to me like that since that night at the bar. My eyes widened at him. 

"You haven't been drinking have you?"