Chapter 5

Chapter 5 (Amber’s Prov)

Silence fills the car as he pulls away from the curb and heads in the direction of Alberton High, which is a couple of miles down the road. My mind jumps around with the moving objects that pass, playing like a movie. Soon I find myself regretting ever getting into this car that oddly smells like cat pee. What the hell was I thinking when the word “Sure” suddenly decided to make itself heard? Oh wait that’s right I wasn’t thinking? His good looks and charm grabbed me like it did with so many other girls, and I am pretty sure he did them here on his back set. My eyes flash across a used condom wrapper. Lovely! Although, something told me:

Not to worry this is your safe heaven. Where the hell did I come up with that thought?

“What’s your name?” He asks as he reaches for the radio making me jump a little. Smiling he glances my way and then back at the road while turning down the volume. “I’m not a pedophile, just so you know. I just like to have a good time.” He reaches behind him, finds the wrapper; trapping it in his fingers, and shoves it in his pocket. The look of annoyance dances across his face.

“I wasn’t worried. I’m just here for the ride.” I roll my eyes and look back at the movie. Truth is, I was freaking out, but number one in survival mode, don’t let the enemy know you’re afraid because if you show any sign of fear. Well I’m not going to lie, you’re a goner.

“Okay, fair enough. My name is Leo.” He states as he gives a small smile that makes me want to run and hide. His eyes look sad like he is lost with no direction then they shift to disgust and then they quickly soften.

Bi-polar much? No something’s eating him up inside, something personal. I wonder what?

“Something tells me you don’t like your name.” I lean my head back with a curious gaze. He laughs as he grips the steering wheel tighter while adjusting his sitting to a more comfortable state. “What gave it away?” 

“I don’t know, it could have been the brief wannabe smile or the look in your eyes, but I am finding you have several facial expressions. Hmmm could it be mix emotions or wait a girl? That’s always the case.” I smirk and give him a harmless glare. I feel myself starting to come out of my shell, but quickly go back in when I am reminded that I can never trust anyone.

The sound of silence rings my ears for a second, when his sudden talking makes them ache. The car pulls over and my body lurches forward to then be slammed back with such force it nearly knocks the breath out of me.

What the hell?

“Okay you want to play that game? Fine,” He scans me with hard eyes “Judging by how you dress and your personality, I bet you’re one of the popular girls at school, you bring people down to make yourself feel better and you are a mommy’s little girl being your daddy crocked. Doesn’t feel good, does it?” My body shook with anger or shock? Maybe both. I am confused to what just happened. It wasn’t my intentions to play the, “I know you better then yourself” game. I was just trying to figure out why he looked so sad. I have no clue why I suddenly wanted to pry in on his personal life or why I even cared. All I know is that I felt this unexplainable urge to comfort him, but it didn’t go the way I wanted it to.

Just as he said all those harsh things, you could tell he wanted to take it all back. “I’m sorry” He breathes harshly while pinching the top portion of his nose along with closing his eyes.

“Right!”I growl as I make a move to exit the car. The feeling of wanting to help him is suddenly replaced with a sense of hurt and disgust. Even if I was judging him; which I wasn’t, it doesn’t give him the right to act so rudely. After all he’s the one who started the conversation and offered me a ride.