Chapter 9-September 16th, 1495

September 16th, 1495

We haven’t seen land for weeks and everyone is agitated. Peter tried to calm people down but it didn’t work out to well. Even the captain wasn’t at ease. Early in the morning while I was up staring at the sea, I saw him flog one the kids from school. He had done something wrong and Captain Nyle’s temper flew through the roof and took his tension out of the kid. Other crew members witnessed the scene and by the time most people were up, everyone knew what had happened.

The crew members started avoiding the captain because they were afraid of being beat. I tried to act normal around him but I was actually scared that he’d hit me too. A fight started between Striker and a heavily-built crew member. Fists started flying and the crew member ended up being punched all the way to the other side of the deck. Striker had a bloody nose but other than that looked fine. The crew member, on the other hand had a nasty looking purple bruise forming under his eye and his left cheek was swollen. He got back up and was about to go again when another crew member came and held him back. Captain Nyle came out and angrily pushed Striker into his cabin and you could hear the captain giving him a good scolding from below deck.