Chapter 43

Before I can think of something else to say, Ada jumps in.

"This is Private Hill, is it not Damon?" She asks me and I slowly nod.

"Yeah," I mutter and Dawn smiles thinly, not bothering to conceal any awkwardness in her expression.

"Can I speak to you outside?" She says with a gesture and I immediately nod.

She vanishes out the door and I scurry after her with a quick wave to Ada.

"Just stay here until I get you," I say. "Okay?"

She nods and waves back, her expression friendly and I wish I could spend another minute with her. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case for a little while.

I follow Dawn to the make-shift hospital room and she spins on her heel to face me. Her arms are crossed and she speaks before I get the chance to open my mouth.

"Hey," she says casually. "I just wanted to clear up any awkwardness between us first off. Last time we saw I each other, I came onto you and I wanted to apologize."

"Oh."

"So... Sorry," she says simply. "I didn't know about you and the other girl -- Luna, right?"

"Why are you apologizing?" I interrupt.

"Just in case I confused you at all," she says hurriedly. "Sorry for kissing you."

"Oh." I blink, a little taken aback. My jaw drops a millimeter, at a loss to say anything except, "Don't worry about it."

"Really?" Something briefly flashes across her face and she perks up. Relief maybe? "Alright then. Just wanted to clear that up just in case... You're not my type anyways," she adds. Then she juts out her chin in my direction. "Does it hurt?"

"No..." my eyes travel down to where her gaze is directed, to the empty space beside my right shoulder. I blink a few times and shake my head, clearing my head and placing my thoughts in order. "Dawn, why -- or how did you get here?"

"Oh. It was Doctor Irving," she answers. "She told me to come with her."

"How do -- how did you get here so fast?"

"Plane." Her lips angle upwards in a tiny smile. "You actually have a bit of explaining to do, mister Ophia," she says, pushing me back playfully. "Why didn't you tell me about yourself? Son of the two doctors?"

"First of all, I wasn't allowed to say anything. Second, I couldn't remember anything. Third, How much do you know? What did they tell you?"

Her shoulders rise and fall and she shakes her head. "They told me enough. I know what you know, I think."

I nod. "Alright."

She nudges me again. "Are you okay? You seem a little distracted."

I manage to lift the corner of my mouth and smile weakly. "If you went through what I just did, you'd be distracted too, with the info dumps and dealing with friends who think of you as a traitor... I mean, I don't even know if they're my friends anymore."

"Well if it's any consolation," she says, "Matthew feels pretty crappy about trying to beat you up like that. And I think after a few days of you being down here, the others are feeling a little less hostile than before."

I nod again, not really looking at her but keeping my eyes fixed on a dot on the tiled floor. Then, a moment later, something she says registers and I turn my head to her, my eyes wide.

"I've been down here for a few days?" I demand and her head bobs to confirm it.

"Yeah. It gave me a chance to get to talk to the others. It's crazy, isn't it? I had no idea doctor Venning had children. And with Ember Irving of all people! He doesn't seem like the father type."