Awkward Dinner

• Dedicated to Katie Hughes

"Pass the peas?" Ayden asked from the end of the table.

"So, Oliver," Samantha began, resting her elbows on the table and leaning closer to Oliver. He was sitting across the table from us, right next to Alex. Alex was sipping on his water as we made eye contact. So he started choking..

"Woah, bro.." Winston said, patting Alex on the back. Once Alex was calmed down, he rested his cheek on his fist, picking at his food and not looking up.

"Oliver," Samantha said, causing Oliver to snap his head back in her direction and away from the previously coughing Alex.

"Hmm?" He questioned her, probably a bit taken aback by her trying to start up a conversation.

"Do you have a girlfriend??" Well that was forward..

"Pass the peeeeas??"

At that moment Oliver was shoving a mouthful of fruit salad into his mouth, slowly looking over at me. And when we made eye contact..

"DUDE!!" Winston exclaimed, hitting the now coughing Oliver hard on the back. Yes, he began cholking as well. Are these boys cholking because we made eye contact or I can't cook for the life of me?

"Pass the peas?.." Ayden repeated from the far end of the table.

I took a bite of the boiled vegetables on my plate and turned to Winnie. "Yeah.. Maybe you should cook tomorrow..."

"Sure thing, I like to cook." He told me, smiling.

"How exactly are you still single??" Samantha asked him, shaking her head in confusion.

"Peas?.." Ayden tried again.

 We all laughed, as Winston shrugged. "I guess no one's really caught my eye.."

"Well I'm not offended at all.." I muttered, smiling the slightest bit.

Everyone laughed again, Samantha and Oliver stood to put their dishes in the sink.

"So what's goin' on with you, Winnie?" I asked him, pushing my plate to the side and resting my elbows on the table, much like Sammy had.

"Peas?!?!"

"Not much, I just finished 13 Reasons Why. But earlier I went back to the library and found anoth-"

"No, no, no. That's where you're wrong," Man, does she say that to everyone? I thought I was special.. "The girls you wanna date don't spend their summer in the library. If you wanna find a girl, go to the mall!"

I hated this advice, but it's true. I'll admit that much.

"Ok.." Winston said, sounding unsure of this new information.

"Peas?? Please, that's all I want!" Ayden begged, by the last words faking a sob.

"So who wants to go watch Inception?!" I asked everyone, standing up and making my way to my room.

There were a chorus of "me's", and the sound of footsteps following me down the hall and to the stairs.

"I just wanted some peas!" Ayden grumbled, following the rest of us down the stairs.

"Wait, so you never answered my question!" Samantha said to Oliver, scurrying around to the other side of the table, where he was now standing. "Ollie Pop, do you have a girlfriend??"

Oliver looked over at me for a split second, but saw by the look in my eyes..

If you do, it sure as hell isn't me.

"No." He told her simply, turning back around and walking up the stairs.

There was a long silence, before Ayden broke the silence. "Well I'm gonna hit the hay."

"But you never got your peas." Winston told him.

"So you did hear me!!!" Ayden yelled at him, running up the last few steps and slamming the door to his bedroom.

Winston walked into his own room silently, closing the door behind him.

"Oliver, you wanna watch the movie??" I asked him, linking arms and beginning to skip toward my room. It was a sad attempt to make things less awkward. Better than nothing..

"I'll pass." He grumbles, pulling his arm from my grasp. He quickly walked into his room, closing his door with force, but not quite slamming it.

Someone's pissed..

"I'm gonna go make sure he's okay.." Samantha mumbled, walking into Oliver's room and closing the door once more.

"Inception!!!" I sung in an extrememly high voice. I've seen this movie at least a million times, but that's infinity times too few!

"I'll watch with you." Alex told me, brushing past me into my room. He jumped up and landed face first on my bed.

"Uh, ok?" I said, inserting Inception into the DVD player.

This is gonna be a long night..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Comment what you thought below!! <3 Thanks!! (: