Chapter Nine: The Mystery of History In Crystal Clarity

This work, A Scientific Rejection, is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any associated links, videos or photographs are not the property of the author, and no assertion of copyright or ownership is made or intended.

__________________________________________________________

Chapter Nine: The Mystery of History In Crystal Clarity

Arthur frowned as he entered the door. He gazed across the expanse of the room to focus on his charge. She again sat in the large gathering room with her friends. This time, however, they included members of both sexes, and the acrid odor of paint, though heavy in the air, was intended for a canvas, rather than for nails. All around the space, Wolfpax-aged wolves were gathered around tables, each of them working on an individual or a group project.

Thandie had called together the other students to explain that that their parents would be miss them, and that it would be fun to get together and work on something to make their leave taking more of a celebration, and less of a time of mourning. Together, they decided that the day before they left would be filled with family games, and that the night would include a Pup Program, much like those in which they had performed throughout their school years. There were a number of talented performers among them, and the not-so-talented could always be counted upon to at least sing in a chorus or assist the artists who were creating the scenery.

It was a very thoughtful, sweet idea, and the presence of paints, glitter and glue sticks did not disturb him. The dancers and the tumblers were at a safe distance. Neither the songs, nor the poems being written and recited appeared to pose any threat. The heartfelt videos and group portraits that were being made at the side of the room with the ubiquitous Werephones were equally innocuous, as the angles did not include his charge’s position. However, one thing greatly troubled him: He did not know what Thandie was doing.

Seated alone at a table, she stared inexplicably at a lump of quartz that was strung onto some type of necklace, also covered in smaller bits of quartz. It was not readily apparent that this activity could bring the tiny were to any harm, but the chill creeping up the back of Arthur’s spine did not lie. Thandie was in danger. Shadow, Wraith and Cheveyo had worked reconnaissance to gather intel, but so far, she had remained mum. Her “notes,” if they could be called that, consisted of scribbles that were eerily similar to those she so often shared with Taki, and he knew from experience that the older man would not share their meaning with him.

According to their communications, three of his men could be found near Thandie’s position, and so Arthur allowed his eyes to wander away from her, scanning that end of the room until he spotted the first of the legendary stealth Scimitars. Wraith materialized from the crowd on Thandie’s left, nodding to acknowledge his leader’s entrance. He then tilted his head toward a spot to her right.

Arthur’s eyes tracked the location he indicated and soon located Shadow, seated in a nearby chair with a guitar on his lap. To the average onlooker, he appeared to be absorbed in writing a song, but his eyes were ever focused on his target. Hearing Arthur’s silent call, he briefly flicked his eyes in his direction, before looking slightly upwards, into the rafters.

Allowing his eyes to casually drift upwards, Arthur was able to make out the slight outline of a man, crouched into a shadowy space among the exposed wooden beams that made up the ceiling. Cheveyo gave him a barely perceptible nod, before resuming his vigilant perusal of the room’s occupants.