Chapter Eight: Scorched Earth

This work, A Scientific Rejection, is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any associated links, videos or photographs are not the property of the author, and no assertion of copyright or ownership is made or intended.

__________________________________________________________

Chapter Eight: Scorched Earth

Absolute destruction reigned under the clear noon sky, in the midst of what had been another constructed clearing. This former woodland area within The Conduit now consisted of nothing but a crater, scorched earth stretching for miles beyond its borders in a pattern that emanated from the center. This alien world was utterly bereft of greenery, a sea of black and gray as the trees that had bordered the clearing were now reduced to nothing more than ash, those trees beyond the ring of the direct kill zone lying scorched on the ground, having fallen away from the source of their annihilation. At the axis of it all stood Warrick, fear warring with a sense of accomplishment as he finally witnessed his full power as an Origin.

“You are half right, Young Pup. However, this is not merely your power as an Origin. Rather, you are now seeing a hint of what can occur if you blend your Origin with your Other Part. Now perhaps you can understand why we will spend the remainder of our time working on your self control.”

Warrick nodded as he looked around, fully appreciating why it was so necessary to learn to control his emotions, and his actions. The thought of what could happen to anyone who stood within miles of him if he ever lost his temper was simply unthinkable.

He looked at Mortimus. “What do you need for me to do?”

“Why don’t we head over to the water?” Mortimus said.

Warrick knew that this was not a suggestion. He walked behind the other man as he strode through the ash, greenery suddenly replacing the area around him, so that in the place of what had resembled a nuclear holocaust now stood a tropical rain forest. He looked around in wonder at the sudden rejuvenation of the forest around him until he heart Mortimus calling. He then followed his voice and joined him at the edge of a scenic overlook, from which they were able to view a stunning waterfall, the large pool of water at its base looking irresistibly inviting to anyone who would behold its beauty and tranquility.

Warrick quickly looked at his grandfather, eyebrows raised.

“Why don’t we go for a swim?” the older man asked.

Warrick followed eagerly as Mortimus lead the way down a path of carved steps in the side of a hill leading down to the waterside, already stripping off his clothing before they had reached bottom. Having grown up as a warrior among weres, he was anything but skittish about nudity. He and the other men often changed back into human form in full view of one another, after training and recreational runs through the woods. Before Mortimus could become half undressed, Warrick had run past him and cannon balled into the water. He was soon joined by Mortimus, who swam in smooth strokes as Warrick splashed around and generally played like a child until he felt slightly tired. Then, he began to float on his back.

“Are you ready for your next lesson?” called Mortimus.

Warrick groaned, turning over and making his way across the water to where Mortimus stood in the shallows, about chest height in the water. When he was about five feet away, he stood in front of his teacher.