Chapter Seventeen

Ginelle waited nearly till the afternoon before returning to the manor.  Her heart was still aflutter within her chest and she knew she could not bare Dorian’s presence without succumbing to his dark charm.

            The desires he awakened within her tilted her entire world and she experienced wondrous feelings unlike anything she had ever felt.

            If she declared her love would he shun her affections? Did he merely lust after her body?

            She wanted nothing more than to dislodge her feelings, to shut out the emotions bombarding her very thoughts, her actions and motives, for fear of rejection and loneliness but she couldn’t simply place her heart in a box for safekeeping. Her feelings for Dorian were raw; growing each and every day, every minute spent with him was a growing happiness and love that could not be suppressed. There was no denying her feelings for Dorian.

            Yet could she really reside at Ashford as his mistress? Was she willing to face that sort of complication?

            Her thoughts drifted astray as she reigned in before the stables and dismounted. The stable boy arrived to assist her with Millie. Once she was finished she proceeded towards the house but half-way she stopped as a rider approached from down the road.

            Her eyes strained against the faint day light as the lone rider grew closer and it wasn’t until the man was nearly upon her that she recognized him as Lord Edric from the banquet.

            She frowned for what reason would Lord Edric come to Ashford? She stepped back as he came to a steady halt before her. He wore no hat, instead his glorious blond hair curled atop his shoulders and he was equipped in a simple white tunic beneath a brown fitted vest.

            Ginelle struggled to remain calm for obviously this man continued to seek her out for a reason anonymous to her.

            She presented Lord Edric with a small smile, “Good evening, Sir Edric. What brings you to Ashford?”

            He smiled in return and dismounted, causing Ginelle to retreat another step. He curtsied before saying, “Forgive my abrupt presence, mademoiselle. I pray that I may have a word with you? I had little chance of speaking with you at the banquet.”

            Ginelle felt a shiver of warning for his expression had altered slightly to anxiousness. If he were anything of a threat to her, she needed to lightly dismiss him and flee for she knew nothing about this man but his name.

            She quickly searched her mind for a ploy. “I am sorry Lord Edric but I must retire for the evening, if it is my hand that you seek, I have decided not to marry. If you’ll excuse me.” She turned quickly and started towards the house.

            “I came not to speak of marriage but on another matter of importance.” He exclaimed, his tone intense as she turned to study the taunt lines of his face pulled tight with tension.