Ch. 11- Travel

"Never fight an inanimate object." -P. J. O'Rourke

***********************

Melrose's POV

"No, I can't say I've thought about the world being a triangle," I say as Braeden plays with my now loose hair. As we lay in bed together as close to each other as possible, it's hard for me not to fall asleep. Being held by Braeden is perfection in its simplest form to me.

"You should. It's interesting," Braeden whispers. I can feel Braeden's heart beat from my hand being on his chest and notice that it matches mine. We're so alike in so many ways, but completely different in the most important ways.

Braeden gets upset when people question him like I do. I do most of my thinking alone, as Braeden does. We both try new things in order to please others. Braeden and I both hate pets. We both know that there's something going on deeply between the two of us but it can't ever be spoken of. If only we were of the same element.

"Please stop thinking so hard," Braeden say.

"I have to," I whisper.

Braeden sighs before placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. Why did he have to do that and be so romantic as if we're two elementals that cared deeply for each other before being forced apart. Braeden doesn't feel as I do. I look away from his eyes to fight down the tears threatening to spill. Braeden doesn't realize how much I'm going to miss him.

"Melrose I don't know how to really say this," he says.

"Then don't say anything at all." I'd rather it listen to Braeden teasing me for being so attached to him. Of course I would laugh as if I realize my stupidity but that would hurt more than he could ever imagine.

I begin to hear the maids walking down the hall and I close my eyes from pain. I have to leave him now and keep what little dignity I have left. I pull myself out of Braeden's arms and see the hurt in his eyes. I let my feet hang over the edge of the bed and remind myself that this is for the best.

My feet touch the cold floor and I whisper, "Good bye Prince Braeden. I hope you have a safe trip."

Nothing but silence grips my heart for a long time and that worries me. Is he doing this to embarrass me? Does he want to see me break down?

"Thank you....Princess," I finally hear come from Braeden's lips. I walk out of his room, but don't head toward my own. My chest is filled with pain and I just need something to ease it.

I hear light moans the closer I get to Col's room, but I'm so upset that I don't care. Braeden didn't make me moan like that. Braeden said there would be someone better for me than him and well, since he said it, my mind believed him. Maybe I should have told him what was in my heart instead. Would that have made a difference.

No. These are foolish girly thoughts. They aren't for someone of my class and position. I shall be Queen and no one can hold that kind of power over me. No one will make me say things that I know I shouldn't. No matter how gorgeous that person's eyes are.

"MeMe!" someone exclaims. I turn around and feel someone's warm arms wrap around my neck.

"What's up, Cat?" I ask while hugging her back. I can atleast fake my mood for Cat so that when she leaves she won't be worried about me.

Cat giggles and steps back to say with a huge smile on her face, "You're welcome. Don't screw this up."

I want to question her more but Derrick just has to speak. "Princess we shall be late. See you soon Princess Melrose and hopefully you'll be a lot happier." What do they know that I don't?