Ch. 4-Prince Colin

“A little water is a sea to an ant” –Afghan Proverb

Prince Braeden’s POV

    Gosh this girl is annoying. I can not believe that she is actually ignoring me. Who in their right mind would do something like that? I don’t know who she thinks I am but I know that I’m Prince of all Fire Elementals and their soon to be king. I have never been disrespected this way.

  “So…you must be partially deaf or something?” I throw out there. I’m sitting on the ground behind Melrose as she attempts to water bend. Is she really trying or just playing with me because this seems pathetic.

    Melrose has been moving a nice sized body of water in the air for about an hour and she’s boring me to tears. I have never seen anyone train like this before but I guess I’ll continue watching for the sake of my kingdom. There has to be more to this girl than what meets the eyes. I won’t allow myself to fall for this trick and miss something worth my wild. At least I’m hoping that’s the case.

    As I sit on the grass I wonder if Melrose is weak or if all Water Elementals are this weak. Maybe that’s why Water Elementals have so many secrets. The air is damp and I hate that. I’m shivering slightly even though I’m trying to wrap myself into a cocoon of heat. I’m burning the grass around me and Melrose hasn’t noticed yet. I could easily break her concentration, burn her alive even, but I won’t. I’m watching her as an animal watches its prey. That’s exactly how Melrose seems to me, weak. She is easily frustrated and I’m growing to discover that this is a waste of both our time.

  “I’m sorry but how old are you again, Melly?” I question and a stand of flames accidentally brushes her leg. Melrose jumps and her body of water hits the ground with a large splash. My eyes widen and I extinguish the circling flames around me. I watch as Melrose clenches her fists and lets out a long hissing noise.

   Her blue dress blows in the wind and she slowly turns to face me. I’m not going to lie and say that seeing her so upset didn’t excite me. Maybe she’ll get angry and show me her true elemental abilities. I know I’m my strongest when angry.

  “I am fifteen and I am trying to focus. Please don’t bother me, Braeden,” Melrose hisses. I can’t hide my smirk and that just adds coal to her anger.

   Since she’s fuming, I stand up and walk closer to her. Surprisingly Melrose holds her ground and I fold my arms across my chest. She looks like a small child trying to defend a toy from a large bully. In all scenarios, she doesn’t stand a chance.

  “Or else what, Melrose?” I question. Melrose pushes me back manually but I only take two steps back. She’s a weak elemental and she’s not strong physically either.

  “Or I’ll make your stay here absolutely miserable!” Melrose shouts loud enough to send up my mental red flags.

    I look over and see one of the guards eyeing us carefully with his hand on the hilt of his sword. I do not need to cause a scene on her turf. I place my arm around her shoulders and smile down at Melrose. Her eyes widen and a light blush runs across her cheeks. I have to play this out perfectly.

  “You’re right Melrose and I’m sorry for offending you. Would you like to go inside?” I ask. Melrose is on edge so I’ll give her credit that she has fast reflexes.

    I haven’t taken a step forward but Melrose still asks, “Why would I want to go anywhere with you?” I glance out of the corner of my eye and see the guard now joined by two other men and walking this way. I need to get out of here.

    I take a risk and lean down toward Melrose’s ear and whisper, “Because I can show you a good time.” Melrose giggles and I sigh slightly in relief. I’ve always known how to seduce girls but Melrose has definitely taken the longest. She’s probably the type of girl who likes the surprising gestures that are direct. I’ll have to remember that.