Ch. 1-Princess Melrose

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." -Marie Antoinette

 ***********************

  “Mel this isn’t funny. Where are you?” Col asks while looking around. Too bad my brother isn’t looking under the water. Right now I’m sitting on the sea floor with my eyes closed. I’m sure various fish are swimming by me, but they are all harmless.

   There are a few other Water Elementals in the water doing various things, but I try to drown out the noise. I really need to focus on my bending. I feel so calm surrounded by the warm water and the ripples it provides naturally. I can stay under the water for an hour without needing air and everytime I can,  I try to break that personal record.

  “Princess Melrose Cherstine Jezebel Visico of the Water Elementals come up right now!” Col demands while putting my full name on blast. He knows how much I hate that! I hate it when the people treat me differently because I’m a royal.

    I emerge from the water and take a deep breath as I feel the eyes of my people on me. This is just perfect Col. Now I’ll have to behave more like a royal than an average Water Elemental.

  “Hello Princess,” many say and I greet as many as I can with a bright smile. Col is going to pay.

    As soon as I spot Col with a bright smile on his face walking my way I announce, “I’m so sorry Prince Colin Darnell Visico of the Water Elementals, but I didn’t hear you beneath the waves.”

   With that, Col turns away from me with his smile gone, and heads for the shore. A smirk appears on my lips as the people call out their greetings to Col. Col greets everyone in a similar fashion I did, and the two of us reach the shore in no time. I mean with people surrounding us, it was hard to pass through the crowds.

  “I don’t know why I bring you anywhere,” Col says while drying off. Col is a very quite and reserved guy around most but he likes to explore. I usually ride shot gun and that’s usually when we have problems.

  “It’s because I’m the younger sister and you love me,” I tease while slipping my green cover up dress over my aquamarine swimsuit. 

  “Yeah sure. When will the love excuse get old?” Col asks as we begin to walk away from the shore. Col can’t be that upset with me.

   Once when we were little I ruined Col’s favorite book, Eyes beneath the Waves, and he didn’t talk to me for days. I must have cried for hours until he forgave me with a new copy of the book in his hand and my crying self hugging him for dear life. I don’t know what I’d do without my brother.

  “When people stop loving you. Oh everyone look! It’s Prince Colin with his muscular but not muscle man build, dirty blonde hair that I’d just love to run my fingers thru and his bluish green eyes that make me want to melt! He’s so dreamy!” I tease. Even as his sister, I’ll admit that Col’s cute. Why he doesn’t hang out with more kids his age, I have no idea.

   It might be due to the fact that he’s adopted. Col and I don’t look anything alike so it wasn’t hard for me to figure it out. Col could look like someone distant on Dad’s side of the family but my parents just decided to tell me when I asked.

  When Col was about six months old, he was abandoned by his family. He has the looks of those who live on Garnali Island, but was found on Sunali Island. Sunali is two islands to the left of Garnali, and Sunali is also where mom was born and raised. The Sunali waters are also know for their rich shade of dark blue.

    I however don’t have an interesting story of being part of the royal family. I was born here on the wonderfully busy Chilton Island. Besides from the palace being here and the beach I just came from, I don’t tend to wander around here often. Chilton is the heart of the thirty-two islands that make up my kingdom and it’s busy all the time.