Kabanata 2

SomeDayDream

TWO

“Where were you?” Ginger head said in an accusing voice. He did remind me about being tardy so I couldn’t help but grimace in response. He saw something wrong with my face. Hell, I felt wrong. His expression changed from exasperation to worry. “What happened to you, man?”

I gave him a flat look saying ‘don’t ask me, okay?’

One of the things that I liked in having Daniel around was that he could predict my moods. My mood swings were sometimes too much to handle – even I have problems with them – but he was perceptive enough to know how to respond every time. I was thankful he understood. Sometimes though, it’s just plain creepy.

“I put ten bucks it’s a girl.” He smirked complacently. “Another ten bucks if it’s ego-related.”

I snorted, causing our teaching to glare at me. He soon dismissed me with a shrug. I mock-punched my seatmate as soon as the coast was clear. “Do you plan to build a fortune-telling empire someday?”

He laughed under his breath. “I got it right? Whoa. I’m a genius beyond genius.”

And here I thought I was the one full of air in the head?

“Frsick,” I hissed incoherently.

Freak plus sick, get it?

Daniel shook his head at my obvious irritation. I huffed as I pretended to listen to the teacher’s lecture, but in fact I was nursing my hurt ego.

I sighed morosely.

That Nikki Cruz was as hard to decipher as my handwriting when I just woke up in the morning. If only her smile wasn’t as genuine and innocent as an angel’s, I would have thought she was purposely torturing my self-esteem. All my pick-up lines failed to work on her. I even offered to miss my first class to help her out, but she tactfully refused my offer. Hear that? I got rejected. Me, the great Kean. I never even thought it was humanly possible. How could she?

Was she worth it? I mean, yeah, I liked challenges but like I said before, I was never passionate. Why should I pursue her? There’s a whole lot of more beautiful girls out there, I just have to find them. And besides, if I had dozens of girls all-too-willing to play with me, why bother with a single girl?

I gritted my teeth.

“Stop that. K. The table’s on fire.” My seatmate snickered beside me.

I must’ve been glaring at the tabletop for half an hour. So unlike me, but then it was rare for someone to thoroughly ignore my advances. I hissed as I ran my hands through my dark hair. Daniel tapped his fingers on my side of the table to get my attention.

“How about a game later? You know, to remove stress?”

“I don’t want to get dirty,” I muttered under my breath. Running across the dirt field didn’t sound appealing. Maybe it’s about time I return to kick-boxing…

He shook his head. His hair only reminded me of that blonde girl. “I didn’t mean football. Basketball. You need to have your muscles stretched.”

“Pass.”

He studied me for a minute.

“Go to the Thread’s?” It’s a very nice club downtown where we usually spend our weekends. Why? Because minors like us could drink there – of course, illegally. But I was turning 18 next week, and so was Danny boy next month… Where’s the fun in that? I wanted to break more rules. Also, it was not worth it to attend school tomorrow with a major hangover. Dammit.