Kabanata 6

Somedaydream

SIX

It was as if I suddenly touched a live wire. My whole body was electrocuted, and my brain cells suddenly were no where to be found. My jaw worked like they had a mind of their own -- up, down, up, down, up, down...

Was Jam right? Had I actually fallen for this too shy, too ignorant, too innocent Blonde?

It shouldn't be. When I am with her, I am not myself. And being not myself contradicted what I just told her. I am the Kean Montenegro, and the Kean I know was not the type to fall. He was not the kind of guy who would make a fool of himself in front of a girl. He wouldn't doubt himself, because he was always right.

I must be possessed right now.

Before I could pull my awesome self together, a soft, familiar melody caused Nikki to pull out a slim white Iphone and gave me a... was that little bow what nerdy people called a curtsy?

"Excuse me for a moment."

Too formal. It was a stab to my pride, a giant red banner telling me that 'Hey, you never made a progress on her. Pathetic.'

Nikki turned her back to me, speaking in low murmurs that sounded too much like humming to me. It was not the phone call that pulled me out of my shock. It was my man instinct. My eyes immediately sought her tight little ass that swayed arousingly as she put distance betweeen us.

WIth a shaking breath, I closed my eyes.

This is bad.

Gathering what was left of my dignity, I desperately made my way back to the door, not even bothering to say goodbye as I slipped back to my world. Yeah, my world, where every girl would turn to puddle at my whim and guys either gave me a scorching glare or a friendly punch on the shoulder.

Where I am the god that everybody loved to hate and hated to love.

A week had passed since the incident on the roof.

It had been a very busy one. My mom managed to make me behave, and I would be lying if I say I didn't like it. For a while, I was able to imagine myself as actually having a mother -- one who would scold me when I'm being an idiot, who would nag me when I'm being impossible, and most of all, who would ask me about my day while having dinner. It was so easy to imagine, and it made my crazy infatuation with a certain blonde be left in my mental drawer.

However, as soon as my mom climbed onto her private jet to China, I went back to being me.

And that included stealing glances at Nikki every opportunity I could get without gaining suspision.

I had no idea whether I should be happy or not that she was still awkward around people. It was my sole excuse to watch over her, so I guess it was more good than bad.

It wasn't even my intention to spy on her, but it happened that I was just leaving the campus when I caught sight of Nikki walking down the street. It was too early for her to be dismissed -- yeah, and that applied to me too. I ditched my last class because it was PE, and everyone knew that I would get an A+ in that subject even if I never returned for the rest of the term. So I skipped like I always did.

It actually came as a surprise. Silent Nikki, skipping class. I never pegged her for that kind of girl, but now that I think about it, what did I know about her?

Nothing much. Just that her name was Nikki Cruz, and that she's a Senior. She's a transferee. And she's honest. Too honest in fact. She doesn't mingle. She is normally quiet... but that was all there was to it.

It was kind of delayed for me to tell her I want to know more about her, but hey, they said -- whoever they were -- that it was better late than never.

Just when I was about to ask her if she wanted to hitch a ride, she stopped at an intersection where a shiny red Porshe was parked. It was the latest model too. My car-loving side was drooling with envy.

A man walked out from the driver side, and like a gentleman I never truly was, pulled her door open for her. I caught the bright smile she threw his way, and I wondered why the hell she never smiled that way for me.

It was so obvious that I'm much more good-looking than him.

My chest burned at the sight.

As they sped off, my mind quickly overtook my muscles and much to my delight, I managed to crumple the urge to follow them and tossed the useless thought in a burning trash bin. I would never stoop to something as low as stalking. 

Gritting my teeth, I raced back to the campus and with the speed of light, changed to my basketball jerseys. 

Coach looked at me like he had seen a ghost. I raised a single quizzical brow at him, something that as a child I always thought was cool. To my shocked fellow classmates, and to my supposed-to-be team mates, I could only give them an icy smirk.

"I'm tardy, so what?" 

Daniel was first to break the deadly silence, scratching the back of his head as he playfully scowled at his team. "Sorry guys," he said in that easy manner of his. "It seems like we're losing this one."

The atmosphere relaxed in an instant, and idle chatter resumed. Coach returned his attention to the score board. There was only ten minutes left. The fists that I didn't know were balled at my sides loosened their grips as I shot Danny boy a grateful look. 

Really. What am I going to do without my best friend the psychic?