Kabanata 3

SomeDayDream

THREE

(Nikki)

Why won’t they stop looking?

This was the very reason why I hated my older sister. Trust her to make me enroll in a co-ed school. I should’ve known better. Being home-schooled my whole life, Yana told me that it was about time I started meeting my peers. She said that my health won’t fail me this time, that I am strong enough to walk by myself. She said that I was basically missing the meaning of fun and life by staying all day in my room. She said that I had to be able to face the world by myself. She said that I should make friends.

 Yana didn’t say it was this scary.

I allowed my long blond hair to hide my face as I pretended to scribble on my notebook, but their stares seemed to penetrate the thin curtain I made. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me.

Why?

Is there something wrong with me? Is there dirt smeared on my face? Do my clothes look weird?

Yana said that people are naturally curious, that they would want to know me since I am new. But she didn’t tell how bad it would be. Now, I felt conscious of every move I made. It seemed like even the act of breathing became hard.

Save me, Yana…

“I told you, I’ll see you again,” a familiar masculine voice whispered beside me. Startled, it took me all my will not to jump and freak out. My heart was beating so hard in my chest it might explode as I slowly lifted my gaze.

Oh god, I know that scent.

As weird as it sounded, his smell alone made me relax – a mixture of mint, sunshine and comfort, if that ever made sense. Meeting his beautiful grey-green eyes, I smiled in relief. It was Kean Montenegro, the nice guy who thoughtfully helped me out yesterday. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t know what to do. He was like an angel sent from heaven, personally here to save me from disaster.

I noticed that most of the boys turned away as Kean sat beside me. They were the ones that made me all anxious. Although some girls shot me a dirty look, I was thankful that the attention on me decreased. Yes, definitely a savior.

Kean’s smile wavered as he watched me. I wonder why.

You haven’t responded, silly!

Oh.

“Yeah,” I said quietly, avoiding his penetrating gaze. “It’s nice to see you too.”

He was carefully studying my expression. He might’ve thought I’m a freak. I am just really bad with socializing. Please stop staring!

But then, a small part of me enjoyed his sole attention. It didn’t make sense to me, but he was the only one who didn’t make me feel afraid. His dazzling smile literally made me feel better.  This devilishly handsome guy had initially had me dumbfounded and speechless, but as soon as he talked, I learned he was not as intimidating as he first appeared.

Interesting and passionate and smart, totally my opposite.

 “This is your last class, isn’t it?”

“Uh, yes.”

I saw him nod and then heard him sigh to himself afterwards. I frowned slightly. Maybe he had a problem? I wonder if I could help.

But we only met yesterday. He might find it rude if I asked him straightforwardly. Shouldn’t I keep some distance? I didn’t want to be considered nosy. I didn’t want him to think badly of me so I kept my mouth shut. I simply prayed that whatever it was, it would soon clear up. A guy as nice as Kean didn’t deserve to feel down.