Chapter 3

The next morning, Angela's parents had to drive me to soccer practice. Angela's rich, and both of her parents drive her to soccer practice, or wherever she wants to go.

"So, Angela, how did you become rich?" I asked, curious.

"Well, my parents were hard workers, we've worked very hard, its a long story, really."

"Aren't all your stories?" I mumbled.
She tells stories, and they're always "a long story."

"Okay, Angela, hop out!" Her mother said, and looked over to me, "And, Rachel, is it?"

I nodded, and smiled, she smiled as well.

"You know, Rachel?" Angela said, as we walked to the field.

"Hmm?" I said.

"My parents could lend your father some money, I know you're poor," she said, I took that offensive...

"No. We have all the money we need, thanks anyways, I guess."

"Oh, well. Whatever you say! Let's go."

-

The coach had a paper pinned on the side of the house, it had the names of the people that made the teams.

I was super excited, I ran over to see if I made the team. I tried to squeeze through the big crowd, then I saw Bridget coming out of the crowd, looking down.
Why was she looking down?

"Bridget? Is everything okay?"

"I didn't make the Red Dragons team."

"Aw, I'm sorry Bridget, maybe next time! Did I make the team?" I asked, trying to make her feel better, at first.

"Yes," she crossed her arms.

"Oh, wow! I did? Really?!" I practically jumped up and down out of excitement, which was very unlike me.

She nodded, giving me a disappointed look.

"What?" I asked, she walked away without answering.

I ran over to Dianna and the others.

"Did you guys make the team?" I asked.

"No, I didn't, Dianna didn't, Angela did, Bridget didn't, you- did," Georgie gave me a nasty look.

"Oh, sorry guys! Maybe next time!" I said.

Dianna rolled her eyes, crossed her arms, and walked away with the other girls behind her.

Dianna's like the "mean girl," the other girls are like her "gang."
It's weird, I know...

I practiced, and practiced, and practiced soccer. I was really excited.

I felt alone, and unfair, since my friends didn't make the team, and I did. I felt...guilty.
So, I walked home.

-

I stepped inside, "Dad, I'm home!"

(No response.)

"Dad?" I said.

"Honey, I'm not well." Dad was on the floor, almost passed out, he was getting worse.

"Dad! I need to get you to the hospital!"

"Rachel?" Lila said.

"Lila, dad's not well, you're gonna have to come with me."

The ambulance came to get dad, I sat in the ambulance with dad, bawling.

After we got him to the hospital, they found out what was wrong.

"Is my dad going to be alright?" I asked the nurse.

"I'm afraid not. You're father has lung cancer."

What?
I thought.

They let me have some alone time with dad, he was lying in the hospital bed. He was passed out.

I was aware that he couldn't here me, but I still had to speak to him.

"Well, dad, it looks like this is it, I guess. If you died, I don't know what I'd do. Go to a foster home? Dad, I can't lose you like I lost mom. I still hurt, when mom died, it took a piece of me, and you, I know. Please, I can't lose you. Lila would be all I had left. I'm nervous. I've been trying to stay strong, for you. I'm sorry, I've let you down so many times, for so many things, and accidents. You have lung cancer, but you didn't tell me, I guess you didn't want to hurt me. I love you, dad, you may not be able to here me. But, I love you." I cried on his shoulder.
"I'm sorry for this," I said, then gave him a kiss on the forehead, then I left the room.

I was devastated, but I never lost my hope, or my faith in Jesus.