Chapter 11

*Halles POV*

                Inside I knew there was no reason for me to be afraid of Mr. Connelly, I knew he would do anything to help and protect me from what had happened to me, but still… when it all happened I couldn’t help but see him in the same light as my father.  I knew my father would be so angry if I had dropped a stupid plate and he would have hurt me.

                I sat dejectedly on the couch the next day, avoiding any long term contact with Mr. Connelly, by pretending to be engrossed in some novel.  I spent the whole time staring at the same word-filled page, trying to figure out my next move and trying to imagine what my father was doing at that very moment.

                I rested my chin on my propped-up knee and sighed.  He was probably so angry, tearing through my room, looking for me and my stuff.  He’d probably end up showing up at my school, if he knew where that even was.  I knew for sure he wouldn’t call the cops, there was too much risk of that coming back to hit him in the face.           

                Suddenly a series of small thuds came from the door.

                “Great.” I huffed under my breath. “Probably another angry girlfriend.” I didn’t make a move to answer it; it was Mr. Connelly’s job to explain my presence to people.

                The knocking continued. “Xan!” a high voice sang through the door. “Answer the door!”

                A few seconds passed and then Mr. Connelly’s voice broke the silence. “Halle! Can you get the door?  I’ll be out in a minute!”

                I doubted he would be there in a minute but opened the door.  In the doorway stood a smiling woman, with dark wavy hair and light eyes.  She was dressed in skinnies and a blue tunic, layered with a heavier coat.

                “Hi.” She smiled perkily and stepped passed me into the apartment before I could say a word.  She pulled off her jacket and tossed it onto the couch.  “Wow.  Baby brother has done well for himself.” She looked around the apartment, taking it all in.

                Oh, I thought, so this is a sister.  I watched her look around and wondered, hadn’t she been here before?

                All of a sudden she turned to me. “I am so sorry!” she half laughed, half apologized. “You must think I am so rude!  I just barge in here, not introducing myself or asking who you may be.” She stuck out her perfectly manicured hand. “I’m Elizabeth Connelly, but you can call me Eli.  I am the middle child of the Connelly family.” She thought for a moment as I awkwardly shook her hand. “Although most people think I’m the youngest.” She laughed again. 

                “I’m Halle.” I gave her a weak smile, and then pulled my hand back to my side.

                “Ahhhh…” she looked at me differently as I said that. “You are the student.”

                I opened my mouth, shocked.  She knew who I was?  Who all had he told that I was living here?

                Eli took note of my expression and spoke again. “I talked to Alex last night on the phone and he explained the whole situation.” She paused for a moment. “Whatever’s going on must be pretty important to him, haven’t talked to him in over a year.” She frowned and twirled a strand of hair around her finger.

                I stood silent for a moment. “Why… why not?”

                She was about to say something when Mr. Connelly appeared in the room.

                “Alex!” her whole face lit up and she dashed towards him, pouncing on him and giving him a huge hug.

                Mr. Connelly laughed and hugged her back, giving her a kiss on the top of her head.  “Hi big sis.”

                “Baby brother…” she shook her head at him. “Why in hell haven’t you called me?  I’ve tried calling you a thousand times but no return effort from you!”

                Mr. Connelly gave her an apologetic smile, but flicked his eyes in my direction, obviously wanting her to stop.

                She smiled at him and hugged him quickly again. “So… I met Halle!” she changed the conversation quickly.

                “Uhh yeah…” he smiled awkwardly. “Halle this is my big sister Eli.  Eli this is one of my students Halle.  But I take it you already know that.”

                An awkward silence filled the room, tension so thick it felt hard to breath. 

                “So!” Eli’s voice echoed in the space. “Why don’t you get dressed Halle and then we can go out for some brunch!”

                I would have politely declined the offer, but it wasn’t a question, and it would have been rude considering all that her brother had done for me.

                I nodded and gave her a weak smile then left the room to go get changed.  My belongings had been moved to the guest bedroom yesterday while I had been in the shower.  I refused to sleep in there, but I could see that Mr. Connelly was still hopeful.

                I slipped on a pair of skinny jeans and boots, pulling a hoodie over my shoulder and clipping my hair back.  I slipped back down the hallway quickly, shuffling my feet.  At first I thought that they were gone but then I heard the murmuring of voices.

                “What do you want me to say Alex?  This isn’t my job!” Eli’s voice spat in a low whisper.

                “I don’t know Eli!”  I could see Mr. Connelly from where I was standing and he was frowning, his hands resting on his hips. “But you can do this!  You went to school for some sort of this deal!”

                “For kids Alex, for kids.  Not for adults or teenagers!  They are completely different!” Eli huffed, running her fingers through her long silky hair.

                “But you were a teenage girl once!  I was just a teenage boy being confused by you all, getting traumatised along the way!” Mr. Connelly half laughed, half yelled.

                “Yeah but…” Eli started.

                “Mmmhmmm.” I cleared my throat, and was met but two sets of surprised faces.